$2.00
lookingglassties
$2.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$5.00
Average donation
$3.25
× ATTENTION: InputMapper has a new system for tracking feature requests. Please visit inputmapper.com/support and submit a ticket there.

DirectInput Output

3 years 3 months ago #1 by Zwip-Zwap Zapony
Basically, it'd be nice to have DirectInput controller output support, as DirectInput controllers natively support 128 boolean buttons, 8 float/decimal/fractional axes, and a full-range POV (according to Wikipedia), while X-Input controllers only natively support 10 boolean buttons, 4 float/decimal/fractional axes (and 2 float/decimal/fraction triggers, so kind of 6 axes), and a single 8-way directional pad. Plus Windows can sort of have theoretically infinite DirectInput controllers hooked up, while only 4 X-input controllers, I think.

For context: Dolphin is an amazing Wii (and GameCube) emulator, and I would like to be able to hook up everything of a DualShock 4 to be usable for emulated controllers (the Wii remote and Nunchuck are motion-sensitive and such), which means I currently would have to use an X-Input controller for the common things of a DualShock 4, and then an extra X-Input controller for the individual X/Y/Z rotation and the combined X/Y/Z movement (taking up all 4 available axes), and then another X-Input controller where the touchpad "touch" 1 and 2 and the touchpad press are hooked to buttons, and the touchpad "touch" 1 and 2 X and Y are mapped to the left and right stick's X and Y axes, respectively.

This effectively means I have to use three X-Input controller outputs in order to get all the mappings of a DualShock 4 visible for Dolphin, since it uses the standard DirectInput (and X-Input), not natively supporting the extra things of the DualShock 4's touchpad and gyroscope, where-as I could use a single X-Input output and a single DirectInput output to get everything I want visible for Dolphin. (Yes, Dolphin lets you use multiple controllers for controller mapping, not just one.) I might not even be able to hook up just two DualShock 4's to Dolphin if I want to map them to three X-Input controllers each. And no, using the keyboard or mouse output plug-ins don't count, as I want them to be free for chatting with friends and such online while playing. (Yes, I'm using the InputMapper 2.0 beta.)

So in summary: 128-button, 8-axis, 1-POV DirectInput output support would be amazing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 3 months ago #2 by Wobbles
I think vJoy could fit this role. Ill look into adding it as a selectable driver option for IM 1.6.11 which will feature selectable output drivers.

3 years 3 months ago #3 by Zwip-Zwap Zapony
Well, just know that you can't fully expose a DualShock 4 like this with a single DirectInput output, as a DualShock 4 has too many axes for that, and I'm also hoping to be able to set it up manually to set each input to exactly the output I want.

The optimal output option would probably be 1 X-Input controller for the common things (as well as getting rumble support) and 1 DirectInput controller for the special things, which should then leave out either the "touch" 2 X/Y axes, or the independant X/Y/Z movement axes (rather than X/Y/Z movement combined into one axis).

It might be better off as a plug-in for InputMapper 2.0 than a built-in feature of InputMapper 1.X (though both would probably be best), however I'm not quite sure how it'd work in InputMapper 1.X for my intentions.

3 years 3 months ago #4 by Wobbles
vJoy supports 8 axes per device, is there a emulation driver that you know of that supports more?

3 years 3 months ago #5 by Zwip-Zwap Zapony
Nope, there's not. DirectInput itself is limited to 8 axes. (So optimally, the sticks and triggers would go on an X-Input output, while the gyroscope X/Y/Z, movement X/Y/Z, and touchpad touch 1 X/Y, totalling 8 axes, would go on a DirectInput output (along with touchpad press-down and touchpad touch 1/2 "buttons" also being mapped to the DirectInput output).)

3 years 3 months ago #6 by Wobbles
So if DI itself is limited to 8 axes I cant do anything anyway. I cannot make a directinput controller with more than 8 axes if directinput itself only supports 8

3 years 3 months ago #7 by Zwip-Zwap Zapony
And I'm not asking for a DirectInput output with more than 8 axes, I'm asking for a DirectInput output with up to 8 axes, so that should be fine, right?