$2.00
Gregory McCoy
$2.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$5.00
Average donation
$3.50
× ATTENTION: InputMapper has a new system for tracking feature requests. Please visit inputmapper.com/support and submit a ticket there.

Negative Curve Values

3 years 4 months ago #1 by AAAA
Are there any plans to add negative curve values into the UI? Right now it's only possible by editing the profile .ini

Here's an example from x360ce: i.gyazo.com/517fbdb832d70a87445bfddc4f1df783.png

Why is it needed? Here's one example why (Metal Gear Solid 5):

Problem (copy paste):
"so i played the console version of this game and is nobody noticing how awful....

...the deadzones are on the pc version with a controller? its easy peasy aiming on the console version its really smooth. why is the pc version like this? is there a patch for this?"

My answer to the problem (same problem, other topic):
"x360ce is a better choice [instead of Durazno]. It's not just a deadzone issue. The sensitivity is also fucked.

I compared both the PC and PS4 version and adjusted it to be similar on both platforms. I even recorded both systems at the same time with the controller working on both systems simultaneously to get accurate results.

Again, to clarify: The PC deadzones in TTP (and sadly, most games) are exactly the same as on the last-gen consoles (Xbox360, PS3). The current-gen (Xbox One, PS4) have much better gamepads, so they coded different deadzone and sensitivity values"

Going from the PC (and PS3) to the PS4 or vise-versa is a day and night difference.

Again: Deadzones are smaller on PS4, sensitivity in the center much higher (=controls much better). That's the reason why I'm asking for negative values in the curve slider (or a check box to invert the curve like in x360ce). Like I said, it's already supported but only by editing the .ini

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 4 months ago #2 by Wobbles
Are we talking about curves or deadzones, they are 2 different things and neg deadzones are already possibly to counter the 360s built in deadzone used by most games.

3 years 4 months ago #3 by AAAA

Wobbles wrote: Are we talking about curves or deadzones, they are 2 different things and neg deadzones are already possibly to counter the 360s built in deadzone used by most games.

Curves, since negative deadzones are already in. What I'm asking for is the ability to choose negative curve values, not just positive, or a checkbox to invert the curve.

All you have to do is change curves from "0% to 100%" to "-100% to 100%" in the UI.

A negative deadzone combined with a negative curve makes aiming a lot easier. Believe me.

3 years 4 months ago #4 by Wobbles
Its not quite that simple. The math for a negitive curve is completely different.

3 years 4 months ago #5 by AAAA
I thought it's implemented in the code. Just not in the UI.

Open a profile and try a value like

<AxisTuning>
<LeftStick>
<Curve>-0.3</Curve>

I've tested it just now in "Game Controller Properties" and it works 100%.

3 years 4 months ago #6 by Wobbles
A negative value in a quadratic equation only really sends the curve above 1,1. With IM clipping any value over 1 all you really end up with is the same result as if you just increased sensitivity to over 100% as the deviation from 1:1 over the span of x is minimal and the difference that is visible is close to a change in X gain.
Attachments:

3 years 4 months ago #7 by AAAA
Ah, yes, I didn't pay attention to the extreme ends of the stick so I didn't notice the clipping. The "negative" curve values I used were usually quite low.

3 years 4 months ago #8 by Wobbles
For reference: this is the current equation I use y=(C*(x-D/(1-D))^3)+(1-C)*(x-D)/(1-D)*S www.desmos.com/calculator/21qqtxvhxn

3 years 4 months ago #9 by AAAA
I see. Can we expect negative curves in the future or is something you don't see as necessary?

3 years 4 months ago #10 by Wobbles
Well I seriously dont think you would actually feel a difference between a -curve and +100 sensitivity, but I will add it to the list anyway once I get to the part of im 1.6.11 that invovles me rewriting that stuff.