Number of donations
Highest donation
$500.00
Average donation
$25.41

Official DualShock 4 Wireless Adapter!

3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #1 by jbrianj2
blog.us.playstation.com/2016/08/23/plays...ss-adaptor-unveiled/

Sony has announced a new official Wireless Adapter for the Dualshock 4 controller for people on Windows.

It's still 3x as expensive as a bluetooth adapter, but *could* reduce the amount of problems that 3rd party drivers/hookers have, especially with Windows 10 users.

The adapter looks pretty, but is kinda large, in comparison to those tiny bluetooth adapters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #2 by Wobbles
This is for DS4 native apps (of which there are very few), IM has alwayse been mostly for games that are xinput only. Other than that, yea it just looks like a BT adapter.

3 years 1 month ago #3 by jbrianj2

Wobbles wrote: This is for DS4 native apps (of which there are very few), IM has alwayse been mostly for games that are xinput only. Other than that, yea it just looks like a BT adapter.

It might be reverse engineer-able so that you could make InputMapper work with the official adapter?

3 years 1 month ago #4 by Wobbles
Sure, I assume it's basically just a BT adapter, but what would be gained from that tho?

3 years 1 month ago #5 by Justin Lane
If InputMapper were to work with the official adapter would it be possible to get audio for games or applications fed to the audio jack?

3 years 1 month ago #6 by Wobbles
That wouldn't have anything to do with IM. Weather or not that works is completely up to Sony and the device itself. IM is for mapping a dualshock 4 to 360 controllers for games that do not support Direct Input, this device has nothing to do with that and is meant for games that were developed solely for the DS4 in mind.

3 years 1 month ago #7 by Wobbles

3 years 1 month ago #8 by jbrianj2

Wobbles wrote: Sure, I assume it's basically just a BT adapter, but what would be gained from that tho?

The probable fact that games that will make use of the extra features of the adapter only through the official adapter using some proprietary drivers. If you get the adapter and you can make it work like a BT adapter you don't have to buy 2 different devices.

3 years 1 month ago #9 by Wobbles

jbrianj2 wrote:

Wobbles wrote: Sure, I assume it's basically just a BT adapter, but what would be gained from that tho?

The probable fact that games that will make use of the extra features of the adapter only through the official adapter using some proprietary drivers. If you get the adapter and you can make it work like a BT adapter you don't have to buy 2 different devices.

Don't expect there to be an influx of games using native DS4 support here, Xinput is still king of the land and for good reason. This adapter doesn't change anything in terms of what games are compatible with the DS4, all it does is make game that DO have native DS4 support built in to also allow it wirelessly where it used to only allow USB. Read my blog entry.

3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #10 by jbrianj2

Wobbles wrote:

jbrianj2 wrote:

Don't expect there to be an influx of games using native DS4 support here, Xinput is still king of the land and for good reason. This adapter doesn't change anything in terms of what games are compatible with the DS4, all it does is make game that DO have native DS4 support built in to also allow it wirelessly where it used to only allow USB. Read my blog entry.

I hope the adapter will still support DirectInput to the controller, which would mean InputMapper should already work on the adapter out of the box. Since AFAIK all InputMapper does is install a bluetooth compatible DS4 driver and then converts DirectInput to XInput.

If the Adapter already supports DirectInput wirelessly out of the box, this means that no Scpdriver should be necessary anymore.