Highest donation
$500.00
Average donation
$19.97

Steam to expand PlayStation 4 gamepad support

3 years 1 week ago #1 by Moskeeto
www.gamasutra.com/view/news/283223/Steam...rt_in_new_update.php

Holy crap, this is big news.

I'm not sure if I'd make the switch or just stick with IM because I love how easily customizable it is. I'll definitely test it out though and if it's not to my liking, I'll stick with IM. Though I do have a Steam controller and I love how customizable that is as well.

What are your thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 1 week ago #2 by Wobbles
Just had a back and forth with Will Smith regarding it, it doesn't really change much regarding compatibility. Game devs will still have to explicitly write in support for the API, and let's be honest est, if game devs cared about the DS4 they could already use the SlimDX API, but none the less it's nice to see the DS4 hasn't been forgotten about.

3 years 1 week ago #3 by Moskeeto
The thing about the Steam controller is that it can emulate any sort of input and games that don't use their API (most of them) work without any major issues. You can make the Steam controller emulate Xinput along with kbam seamlessly together for a smooth experience with different profiles for each game. I don't see why that wouldn't be the case with their DS4 implementation to their API.

3 years 1 week ago #4 by Wobbles
Well first off, steam controller doesn't emulate a xinput device, it actually IS a XI compatible device at the hardware leval. And it still comes down to game developers making the decision To implement the API. Neither Sony nor MS would allow games to use the DS4 while displaying ABXY prompts.

3 years 1 week ago #5 by Moskeeto
Well, if you look at the image in the linked article you can see an example of the DS4 with a profile for Doom where it has Xinput buttons mapped to the DS4. You can see the DS4 face buttons being mapped to ABXY which tells me that they have implemented Xinput emulation with the DS4. They probably integrated a custom driver for the DS4 in order to get this working through Steam.

3 years 1 week ago #6 by Wobbles
Ok so that implies games that use steam API for the steam controller will work out of the box, but just because a game works with the steam co troller does not mean the game is using their API, they may simply be accessing it through xinput.

3 years 1 week ago #7 by Wobbles
Presumably these are the games for which it will work: store.steampowered.com/search/?term=Stea...roller&category1=998

3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #8 by Moskeeto
That's what I'm saying though. Most games don't use the API and only work with the Steam controller because they use xinput. That's why it seems to me that the DS4 will work just the same as the Steam controller does with this upcoming update. I can only name a few games that I've played with the Steam controller API (Witcher 3, Deus Ex: MD, and Tabletop Simulator).

3 years 1 week ago #9 by Moskeeto

Wobbles wrote: Presumably these are the games for which it will work: store.steampowered.com/search/?term=Stea...roller&category1=998

Most of the games in that list just use Xinput or kbam controls and don't use the Steam controller API. Rocket League and Aragami (I own both) only use Xinput, for example. Civ V only has kbam controls but works with the Steam controller emulating kbam.

3 years 1 week ago #10 by Wobbles
But the steam controller exposes itself as a xinput device, the DS4 cannot.