Number of donations
Highest donation
$10.00
Average donation
$3.44

Steam to expand PlayStation 4 gamepad support

3 years 1 month ago #11 by Wobbles

Moskeeto wrote:

Wobbles wrote: Presumably these are the games for which it will work: store.steampowered.com/search/?term=Stea...roller&category1=998

Most of the games in that list just use Xinput or kbam controls and don't use the Steam controller API. Rocket League and Aragami (I own both) only use Xinput, for example. Civ V only has kbam controls but works with the Steam controller emulating kbam.

Then the list that this will work for is significantly smaller.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 1 month ago #12 by Moskeeto

Wobbles wrote: But the steam controller exposes itself as a xinput device, the DS4 cannot.

Yeah, but that's only when Steam is running. You can't use the controller's xinput when launching a game outside of Steam. It seems to me they're doing the same with the DS4 and allowing it to use xinput when it's connected with Steam open.

3 years 1 month ago #13 by Wobbles
So I have read absolutely every dev article I can on this thing and I will put together a check in video shortly covering it, but the basics are; as it stands now just because a game in directly support the Steam Controller either through 360 or KB/M emulation, does not mean it will support the DS4 (or the other soon to be announced controllers). The DS4 support is only for the Steam API which games must make explicit modifications to account for. This sounds like a let down, but I actually really like the idea Steam is going for here and ill explain further in a video in a bit.

3 years 1 month ago #14 by Wobbles

3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #15 by Moskeeto
Don't know if you have a Steam link, but if you connect a DS4 through that, Steam automatically makes the DS4 emulate Xinput. Pretty sure emulating Xinput is a feature of their API. The only downside of using the DS4 through the Steam link is having no control over the light bar and no rumble.

I don't see what's stopping them from adding this feature to the client itself with more robust options than what the Steam link currently offers.

3 years 1 month ago #16 by Wobbles
I've always considered the possibility that it violates some license or eula or fair use somewhere, especially since Sony devs run for the hills when DS4tools, DS4W, or IM are uttered. But just speculation

3 years 3 weeks ago #17 by Moskeeto
Just got an official answer here: www.reddit.com/r/SteamController/comment..._speculation/d8xg2ca

Looks like the answer is yes, the DS4 will work with xinput when the update rolls out on Steam.

3 years 3 weeks ago #18 by Wobbles

Moskeeto wrote: Just got an official answer here: www.reddit.com/r/SteamController/comment..._speculation/d8xg2ca

Looks like the answer is yes, the DS4 will work with xinput when the update rolls out on Steam.

This was covered on the 2nd part of my checkin:

3 years 2 weeks ago #19 by Moskeeto
DS4 support is now live in the Steam beta build. Just tested it out for a little bit and it's got a few bugs here and there so it's not quite polished enough at the moment for me to switch from IM.

- There's no button combo to disconnect a controller, and when you force it to shut off, Steam doesn't recognize it's disconnected. Reconnecting it will make it no longer function. Only way to fix this is to disconnect the BT dongle and reconnect it. That's much too fiddly.

-There's no way to control the lightbar at moment and it stays full white.

- Gyro controls work pretty well, but you really have to fiddle with it to work right in most games.

- Rumble doesn't seem to work properly either.

3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #20 by Wobbles
There are games that support the gyro?