$5.00
charles fox
$5.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$10.00
Average donation
$4.75

Having an issue with DS4Windows and Steam, will IM 2.0 have this issue?

2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #1 by Roland
Okay, I'll get straight to the point on this one:
With DS4Windows currently, if my controller shuts off while Steam is running and I'm playing something, several of my Steam games can't find the controller when I turn it back on.

Before the Exclusive Mode fix from a few months ago issues like this were pretty normal for CERTAIN games.

After the Exclusive Mode fix, I was able to turn the controller on and off at will without Steam causing an issue. And everything just worked.

Now, specifically starting with the patch right before Steam officially added PS4 support, if the controller shuts off and I turn it back on it's as if Steam tries to capture it before the 360 driver kicks in. (just like before the exclusive mode fix) MANY of my games can't find the controller when this happens and I'm forced to close the game, close Steam, turn the controller off and back on, open Steam, then re-open my game. (This has made for some really annoying replays of areas in some games cuz I made food or something) And as mentioned above, this is abnormal for most of games, as previously only certain ones needed exclusive mode. Mind you I do have the PS4 controller support box unchecked in Steam's Big Picture Mode, as it's abysmal right now and doesn't even use the touchpad (though the beta at least had minor functionality...).

I dunno if it's an issue on DS4Windows end, Microsoft's end, or Steam's end (my guess), but I figured I'd ask if IM 2.0 will also have this issue, as this issue has had me even more eager for IM2.0 (and whether this issue will be present or not I'm still donating and switching to IM, if nothing else, for the proper macro system)

Oh and I dunno if this helps anyone, but the reason I think Steam is trying to capture the controller, is Rocket League's behavior with this. If I turn on the controller with Steam up and launch RL, at the title screen when I "Press any button" on the controller, it goes to the main menu with 3 players. Players 1,3, and 4. and the controller is unresponsive and the only thing that works is keyboard and mouse (player 1's controls in this instance). So 1 controller somehow creates 2 players, and neither of them are my friend who is player 2 when he comes over, with me obviously player 1. (this again is resolved with the above steps)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 11 months ago #2 by Wobbles
DS4Windows is no longer supported and hasnt been updated in quite some time

2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #3 by Roland
It just got updated a couple months ago. Right after the exclusive mode fix came out, and then a few weeks later.
In fact, the last update I downloaded was October 8th, per my "last modified" date on my exe.
ds4windows.com
The updates definitely seem to have several month gaps between them, but it is being updated.

And that didn't answer my question as to whether Steam can "steal the controller" with IM like it seems to be doing with DS4Windows? (Though I get that you figured this was because the program is outdated, I assure it's not, I recall the update prompt when I launched it, apparently Oct 8th and the one some time before that. Sadly their site does not have dates on their patch notes)

2 years 11 months ago #4 by Wobbles
That isnt our software, we are InputMapper

2 years 11 months ago #5 by Roland

Roland wrote: And that didn't answer my question as to whether Steam can "steal the controller" with IM like it seems to be doing with DS4Windows? (Though I get that you figured this was because the program is outdated, I assure it's not, I recall the update prompt when I launched it, apparently Oct 8th and the one some time before that. Sadly their site does not have dates on their patch notes)

Dude what the actual fuck? I've asked the same question twice now and you are blatantly ignoring it and going way the fuck off topic. I'm obviously the fuck aware you are inputmapper if I'm asking if IM has this problem as well.

You weren't this difficult when you answered my questions about input mapper's auto profile launching vs ds4windows auto launching back in May when I first got my DS4, and you weren't this difficult when I had issues with touchpad multitouch and you said it was something you were going to improve in 2.0 (which started my wait for 2.0).

I'm just trying to gather some information so I can look into solutions for my problem if it is going to continue to be a problem, but if I'm not going to have this soon, then I can save myself some time.
But you being dismissive and not even reading the fucking posts is making this a very frustrating experience and quite frankly does not make me wanna support this.

So am I going to have to expect this issue with IM or not?

2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #6 by Wobbles
You are asking if an issue with a piece of software that we have nothing to do with and that I know nothing about and therefor cannot even begin to speculate to the cause will hypothetically affect another piece of software which is completely different.... How do I respond to that? Why not just try it, at least then if there is an issue with IM I can make educated guesses as to the cause and solution.

2 years 11 months ago #7 by Roland

Wobbles wrote: You are asking if an issue with a piece of software that we have nothing to do with and that I know nothing about and therefor cannot even begin to speculate to the cause will hypothetically affect another piece of software which is completely different.... How do I respond to that? Why not just try it, at least then if there is an issue with IM I can make educated guesses as to the cause and solution.

Thank you for being more communicative.
The current stable release has all of the issues I have with DS4Windows, plus a game that I don't normally have the issue of it losing controllers when they turn off and back on (Brawlhalla) also loses the controller if it turns off when I'm using the newest stable IM. But just like you aren't ds4windows, the current stable version isn't 2.0 either, and I will not be using the program until 2.0, hence me asking, especially since we had discussed previously about you doing overhauls in 2.0.

A great example of the issue is as follows:
Environment: DS4 connected via bluetooth, input mapper spoofing it as a 360 controller.
Steps:
I make sure the controller is turned on before launching Steam to make sure exclusive mode is in place to minimize issues and make sure everything should only see the "360" controller.
I launch Steam and switch to Big Picture (or just launch in BPM) and launch Rocket League.
At the main menu the controller turns off, either timed out, or turned off manually via a button combination.
Then the controller is turn back on and when a button is pressed player 2 appears (as if a 2nd controller pressed start) and the main menu no longer responds to controller input. (but does respond to keyboard and mouse input)

2 years 11 months ago #8 by Wobbles
Actually 1.6.11 is a better bet, but if you are having issues with 1.6.10 then its moot anyway as 2.0 and .11 operate under the same general principals.

Are you saying you are trying to/or are inadvertently losing connection with a controller mid game and trying to get it back without restarting game and Steam?

2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #9 by Roland

Wobbles wrote: Actually 1.6.11 is a better bet, but if you are having issues with 1.6.10 then its moot anyway as 2.0 and .11 operate under the same general principals.

Are you saying you are trying to/or are inadvertently losing connection with a controller mid game and trying to get it back without restarting game and Steam?

That is correct. This was totally possible about a month or so ago, while using Exclusive Mode in DS4Windows. I don't know if it was possible in IM. It seems to be a recent Steam update that has changed things...

EDIT: On somewhat related note, is there a way to have IM shut off when certain programs are running?
Steam snuck in an update from when I first checked the ps4 support till now, that greatly improved support. (When I last tried it it showed the Steam controller instead of ps4, now I can map touchpad and all and it's all more polished.) So I may be able to work within the Steam framework by combining it with an IM setup to suit my needs.

2 years 11 months ago #10 by Wobbles
If you are going to use steams controller support than that functionality will not work in IM as they will compete for control of the device. You should pick and use only one of them.