$2.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$500.00
Average donation
$20.61

Sony Wireless Dongle for PC and InputMapper

2 years 9 months ago #1 by Miloš Dabić
Ok, so in September I bought a Sony PC Wireless Adapter for Dualshock gamepads and thought I'd ask if anyone else
had been using them in combination with input mapper. I had a pretty decent usb bluetooth dongle made by Asus, the BT4000 which
at the time was the best thing you could get here and it was around 17$ (opposed to the ~30$ I payed for Sony's doohickey) but have found
that it was extremely sensitive to any physical obstructions to the signal, if I played with someone else and was sitting on the farther side of the computer (not even 6feet away), with their chair being in the view of the bluetooth dongle which had been plugged into the front USB located on top of the computer case - I would get choppy/laggy/non responsive input. Data rate was around 400-600HZ, True Mode, yadi yadi yada, win10.

In the meantime I see that you've added audio support to inputmapper almost making my purchase pointless :)

What I also wanted to know is, why is Sony's dongle constantly at 250 Hz and what would be your advice on how to get better bluetooth reception? Would using an extension USB cable to place the Asus BT dongle higher up in the air give it a wider area of proper data transfer to the controller?

As you would have guessed it, Sony has made ZERO effort to make life easier for us who have paid a pretty penny for their gaming peripherals. No software whatsoever, only thing that happens when I plug it in is that my PC automatically recognizes both the audio card and the controller even if it is not switched on. Thank you Inputmapper for caring more about Sony's customers than Sony :D

However, with Sony's dongle I can pretty much go downstairs and listen to Music, mind you the quality is not very great as it also has to carry button instructions from/to the gamepad but that being said it's a great 3 in one combo that you get. All I need now is an adapter for my headset and my wife and baby are sure to sleep tight while I cower from aliens and androids at night.

Hats off to you Sir for providing a haven of information and support, where corporate greed dares not show its face! Happy New Year to everyone!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 9 months ago #2 by Miloš Dabić
If you own a similar setup or would like to know more about mine, please let me know as I would also love to hear how you've tackled this.

2 years 9 months ago #3 by Wobbles
Audio only works with a Sony dongle, it is possible because of the hardware inside the dongle and not because of anything we have done.

Why would Sony release somthing that emulates a competitors controller? Sony will never release software to emulate Microsoft controllers.

2 years 9 months ago #4 by Miloš Dabić
Doesn't have to emulate a MS controller, any software that would be similar to yours in a sense where I could play with the controller setup, deadzone, vibration strength...Anything would have been nice, almost as if they rely on you to provide everything else coz they obviously can't be bothered to. Since the dongle is meant for pc and mac, it stands to reason people might use it to move their mouse cursor or would wanna be able to at least customize the light bar... Like what Razer and other companies give you with their hardware

2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #5 by Wobbles
All that stuff is up to game developers to include in their software. No other controllers do that, 360 controllers dont do that. The draw for developers to create PnP compatible hardware is that they dont have to do any writing for it, its all handled by the OS and end application.

2 years 9 months ago #6 by ELopez187
So is Sony's wireless adapter compatible with Inputmapper?

2 years 9 months ago #7 by Wobbles
since 1.6