Number of donations
Highest donation
$500.00
Average donation
$19.97

How to disable HidGuardian/InputMapper

1 year 2 weeks ago - 1 year 2 weeks ago #1 by xx
hey guys

I am really fresh here, so hello everybody.
Not so long ago i discovered very great tool witch is InputMapper (pros for the developers)
That allows me to play witcher 3 on my DS4 via Bluetooth!

But that was a really long way to do it.
I tried everything and only that topic seems to work for me:
inputmapper.com/forum/inputmapper-1-5-su...rollers?limitstart=0

When i changed the registry, the controller was finally hidden, and i was able to use exclusive mode.
That allows me to play via Bluetooth (before that i played via cable)

EDIT #1:

HidGuardian OFF
mega.nz/#!T2wVSaxY!Z-bOt4PNVQSXmlCHykNs2qLXhwHFYl-ZhiG_7VwuyWs

HidGuardian ON
mega.nz/#!uvoz0SQS!WZDs4Pz_74DuWREAgq8U_ZnhmYzFlkPdgV7mos0FWus

If files would be missing or deleted just msg me here and i will upload again

I wrote two simple .reg files, one to switch HidGuardian on, and the second one to switch off.
That u don't have to read whole topic.

Depends on what u want to do you allways have to follow these steps:

Let's say you want to turn ON the HidGuardian

- Close InputMapper or other emulator if running, also platform that could operate controller like Steam have to be closed
- Your controller need to be disconnected from pc (and removed from control panel - bluetooth connection)
- Run HidGuardian ON.reg file, warning pop-up, click yes
- Pair or connect your device (in Dualshock 4 controller allways pair via clicking buttons "Share" and "PS" not only PS button cause this will not work properly)
- Run InputMapper and be happy to have exclusive mode
- Play the game

And now you wanna switch it OFF

-Close InputMapper or other emulator, or program that could operate controller (like games, steam etc.)
-Disconnect your device
-Remove device from control panel (it will stay here if you have bluetooth connect, if you use USB you can skip this step, cause device will be removed while you disconnect it from pc
-Run HidGuardian OFF.reg file, warning pop-up, click yes
-Pair or connect your device again (via "Share" and "PS" buttons)
-Play the game or use other emulator

But i wanna talk about something else.
When i configured InputMapper and was so happy that my game work like a charm, I realized that i wanna play other games too.
Like Rocket League via steam, and before that i don't have to install any other programs to play Rocket League cause Steam support DS4 nicely.

And here the bad thing come. The buttons overlay was changed to xbox when using inputmapper :(
Cause inputmapper emulate xbox controller.
That was very annoying to me.

And the second bad thing is that when you install HidGuardian u can't use controller without it cause the controller is hidden in game controllers panel, and this is permanent no matter you use program or not.

And i was searching for how to disable HidGuardian.
Only one solution i found, was to uninstall HidGuardian and reboot PC.

But i wanted to just disable it without reinstalling.

And i found a soultion!

All you have to do is to remove your device ID from HidGuardian registry
Here is the path to HidGuardian registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidGuardian\Parameters\AffectedDevices

And for me i have to add that line at the bottom to make it work (that was the first step to play witcher 3 via bluetooth)

HID\{00001124-0000-1000-8000-00805F9B34FB}_VID&0002054C_PID&09CC

This is the ID of mine DS4 v2 connected via Bluetooth

Now here is how to disable HidGuardian

Just disconnect controller,
remove device in control panel,
remove the ID in registry
Pair controller again

and it will be again recognized (not hided what HidGuardian do) as Dualshock 4 controller in your games controllers.

And to check your controller ID:

you have to click Properties in control panel on your device
go to hardware tab (the second one)
click Properties again
go to details
and search for device id

There could be 2 or 3 lines of device id.
Just copy all lines with "HID/"

when you find it you have to add or remove the same line from registry, depends what u want to do.

That's it!

Sorry for my bad english :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 2 weeks ago #2 by wirenut48
Have you tried disabling HID Guardian in the device manager then reconnect the controller? Was wondering if this would do the same thing as editing the registry. Would be a simpler method if worked.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

1 year 2 weeks ago - 1 year 2 weeks ago #3 by xx
Yeah i tried, and it didn't worked for me, i was trying to disable all components in device manager and disabled the whitelist service, then reboot pc and it didn't worked for me

1 year 2 weeks ago - 1 year 2 weeks ago #4 by wirenut48
What I suspected, reboot is needed to remove driver, but if disabled, a reboot re enables it.
I would write a couple batch files that would add/remove those entries for you. Should be able to Google how.
Also could restore the entries by exporting that reg key to use it to restore. But would still need a batch file to delete that key.

With the new version 1.7 of IM you should even be able automate that process per game profile. Still under development so not sure if the capabilities are there now or not, but believe they are. Not sure about other features you may need, but may want to give it a look. Is compatible with 1.6, could still run one or the other. Only conflict would be they share the same Icon file name, so things could look a bit weird but pretty easy to tell what things are.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

1 year 2 weeks ago #5 by xx
I didn't tried to disable components in device manager and the whitelist service without reboot, mayebe it will work.
But when i reboot pc the components and service was still disabled so you think that make a difference?
We have to check that if you disable components and don't reboot is it working.

And i think editing 1 line of registry is easier to do than to search trough device manager and disable HidGuardian in like three places.

That would be nice if you could write the batch files, and name them "HidGuardian On" / "HidGuardian Off"
But as i said above we have to check if disabling components will make conroller visible in game controllers.

I am sure that the registry edit work 100%
And if you could write batch file where it adds or removes key in the registry that would be nice.
But in that key there is whole list of controllers supported by HidGuardian, but everyone of us, use just one or two controllers so the key can have only our device ID, the other ID's are not needed.

And remember that every of us probably have different controller, so if you could write batch file where u can manually put device ID before it adds or removes key from registry that would be nice.
I could add that file to first post of the topic that everyone can use it, not only me.

And you are sure that it will not mess up the registry or the program? Cause i am little scared :P

There is also a point to program developers, they could make that InputMapper or HidGuardian scan our device ID, put the key in the registry at the start of the program, and when program closes, it could just remove the key from registry that we can use our controller without it also.

And a question for mods/admins, can someone pin this topic at the top? Cause i think this is a feature that many of us think of

Greetings

1 year 2 weeks ago - 1 year 2 weeks ago #6 by wirenut48
Are you doing this just so you get the correct button overlays for DS4 supported games? Seems like a lot of work for that but editing the registry will be your best solution for disabling HIDGuardian.

If it were me I would export the Affected Devices key(highlight it and choose export from the file menu). Then just delete that key to disable Guardian. With some searching you should be able to figure out how to delete that key using a batch file to simplify the process, so you don't have to open the registry each time. When you need Guardian again just double click the Affected Devices.reg file you exported to restore that key.

1 year 2 weeks ago - 1 year 2 weeks ago #7 by xx
Yeah, the DS4 button overlays is one of point that i disable HidGuardian, but i like to use the less software i can to operate the devices.
And sometimes InputGuardian can not work property with game and we have to choose other software or just play via windows drivers.

And that's why i do that, and i wanted to write that solution cause i saw a lot of question how to disable HidGuardian.

I think i will stay with manual edit registry key, cause i don't know how to write batch files, and manually editing isn't bad for me cause when u close regedit it saves the last directory you open, and you don't have to search trough folders all the time, cause the HidGuardian directory will be allways open.

I wrote a simple .txt file with instruction, directory and mine device ID how to do that, that i don't have to remember all this steps.

EDIT #1:
Okay i made two .reg files, one for switching HidGuardian on, and the second one to off, check my first post at edit section

1 year 2 weeks ago #8 by jet399
Your .reg files have a decryption key set on them so we cannot download :) I want to try and see if it fixes problem with windows 10 1809

1 year 2 weeks ago #9 by Wobbles
This has nothing to do with 1809
The following user(s) said Thank You: jet399

1 year 2 weeks ago #10 by jet399
Has 1809 caused a problem and are awaiting a patch? I have tried the usual HG fix but it didnt work :/