$2.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$5.00
Average donation
$3.50

Windows 10 IM doesn't work

3 years 6 months ago #1 by David Duberman
I'm trying to use IM with a Windows 10 laptop; W10 build number is 10586.494, which I believe is up to date.

My goal (a modest one) is to play Final Fantasy VII (Steam). I'm able to play it just fine with my DS4 connected to the laptop via bluetooth, except that the d-pad doesn't work and in certain situations (such as catching a chocobo) it seems to be pretty much necessary. So I googled and determined that InputMapper might help.

InputMapper works fine internally; the XInput test utility shows all controls working. However, with InputMapper active, the game I'm trying to use it with, Final Fantasy VII (Steam) doesn't respond to the DS4 at all. Incidentally, when InputMapper is active, the DS4 led is green, not white as usual.

I tried toggling InputMapper's Exclusive Mode switch, but to no avail. What am I missing here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago #2 by Wobbles
Does the IM log indicate that exclusive mode is working properly and have you set the 360 controller as the default controller in windows (advanced button under joy.cpl)?

3 years 6 months ago #3 by David Duberman
If I toggle exclusive mode, the log does not reflect the change at that time, but if I quit IM and restart, the log then shows the correct setting.

I made the joy.cpl setting you specify; now the gamepad works with Win10 and FF7 via bluetooth, except for the d-pad buttons, which still do nothing. I checked them in XInput, which shows them as working properly.

I'd be very grateful to anyone who can tell me how to get the d-pad working in FF7.