$5.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$10.00
Average donation
$3.33

DS4 random disconnects?

8 months 4 weeks ago #1 by sovereign110
Hey guys, first I'd like to say, great job with IM. I was getting tired of trying to get my DS4 to work with my PC for a good while, but after I found IM it went off almost without a hitch! So kudos.

However, I am curious about something. Whether I connect my DS4 with my charging cable via USB, or to my motherboard's built-in Bluetooth, it will randomly disconnect. With the cable, I think it usually happens after I nudge the cable somehow (sometimes after nudging it, the connection will fart out for a few seconds before re-establishing itself automatically, instead of disconnecting). But when it's connected via Bluetooth, obviously that can't be the cause. The disconnects don't happen very often, I'd say usually 1-3 times every few hours, but obviously it's highly inconvenient when I'm playing games like Dark Souls or others with action-based combat systems, cause if it happens to disconnect during a fight it usually means a game over :P

I don't know if there's any consistency to what I'm doing with the controller when it disconnects. I want to say it's usually right after pushing any of the buttons, but I remember at least one time I went out for a smoke and it was disconnected when I came back.

I'm on Windows 10, and I do get Exclusive Mode errors (even after trying to disable the EM option in settings) but it seems I installed the HidGuardian driver at one point, so I dunno if that's working or not? Or even if the EM issue has anything to do with the disconnects in the first place.

Any ideas what might be going on? Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 months 4 weeks ago #2 by Wobbles
The troubleshooter has some things you should try first inputmapper.com/component/troubleshooter/stepsform

8 months 4 weeks ago #3 by sovereign110
Hmm, the troubleshooter mentions IM requires BT 4.0. According to the Asus site, my particular mobo (P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3) has its Bluetooth specs listed as:

Bluetooth V2.1+EDR
ASUS BT GO! Utility

So clearly that's not 4.0, but if the troubleshooter is correct and IM "requires" 4.0, I'm surprised my DS4 is able to connect and work at all (most of the time at least). I'm pretty sure I have a Qualcomm chipset too, not Broadcom.

So if it's still supposed to be possible to connect my DS4/use IM despite these incompatibilities, but these incompatibilities are probably what's causing the random disconnects, then I'll probably look into getting some sorta BT adapter.

If I really shouldn't be able to connect via Bluetooth at all and have IM recognize it due to the incompatibilities, well, obviously something else is in play and I'd be curious why my DS4 + IM are still functional 90% of the time 8)

8 months 4 weeks ago #4 by Wobbles
It's not an incompatibility that causes that restriction, it's the limited bandwidth of lesser versions, hence the intermittent function.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sovereign110

8 months 4 weeks ago - 8 months 4 weeks ago #5 by sovereign110
I see....so even though DS4 -> PC is the only Bluetooth activity in my apartment, my available bandwidth is still not sufficient enough to prevent these random disconnects because it's an older BT version?

Makes sense, considering this is a mobo from 2011, after all XD

I'll look into an adapter then. At least this thing has USB 3.0 ports. Thanks!