$2.00
Joachim
$2.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$10.00
Average donation
$3.32

L2/R2 triggers. X/Y rotation. Z axis? huh?

3 years 2 months ago #1 by victor martinez
Can someone shed some light here? I'm having issues with my DS4 controller not being mapped properly, and I'm REALLY confused here.

Okay where to start. I'm gonna try to keep this short, but there's a lot of information so please bear with it all.

So I was playing FF8 on ePSXe and noticed I could not run from battle (by holding L2 and R2 buttons).

I checked the emulator settings and it appears L2 and R2 were being mapped as j1b_DOWN and j1b_UP, whenever I am running InputMapper or DS4Windows. However, without either program running (no pun intended), the L2/R2 triggers can be mapped just fine as buttons b7 and b8, and I can successfully run from battles.

I then took a quick look at the game controller calibration menu in Windows 7... with and without InputMapper running:

Without InputMapper running (detected as "game controller"): L2 trigger lights up Button 7, and makes X rotation bar fills up. R2 trigger lights up Button 8, and makes Y rotation bar fills up.

With InputMapper running (detected as "XBOX 360 controller for Windows"): L2 trigger only makes the Z axis bar decrease, and R2 trigger only makes the Z axis bar fill up. No other buttons light up or are even available for either of the trigger buttons.

I read through the forum and there seems to be some issues with the trigger buttons but not sure if it's related to my issue or not. I am really confused here. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 2 months ago #2 by Wobbles
Did you look at your log? Its likely exclusive mode isn't operating.

3 years 2 months ago #3 by victor martinez

Wobbles wrote: Did you look at your log? Its likely exclusive mode isn't operating.

It says it is running in exclusive mode. I tried to reinstall everything (hopefully did it right) but it still isn't working properly. I'm a little confused on what scp server is, and what is the purpose. Is it suppose to be running, too?

This is odd, never had this problem before a month ago.

3 years 2 months ago #4 by wirenut48
The DS4 is an Dinput device, IM uses SCP to create a virtual Xinput 360 controller. The two different protocols(Xinput vs. Dinput) have different mappings. Thus the reason for Exclusive mode in IM so only one controller(Xinput 360) is detected by windows and games.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

3 years 2 months ago #5 by victor martinez

wirenut48 wrote: The DS4 is an Dinput device, IM uses SCP to create a virtual Xinput 360 controller. The two different protocols(Xinput vs. Dinput) have different mappings. Thus the reason for Exclusive mode in IM so only one controller(Xinput 360) is detected by windows and games.

Okay I think I'm understanding it a bit better, but I'm still unsure about a few things...

Like, how do I know if the SCP stuff installed correctly, or if it is even working? I see four items: DS3 SCP Service, Bus Driver, Bus Device, and Bluetooth Driver (after force install). Do I even need the bluetooth driver if my bluetooth receiver has already been working all this time, via it's original driver install, or is this one something completely different and additional?

3 years 2 months ago #6 by Wobbles

victor martinez wrote:

wirenut48 wrote: The DS4 is an Dinput device, IM uses SCP to create a virtual Xinput 360 controller. The two different protocols(Xinput vs. Dinput) have different mappings. Thus the reason for Exclusive mode in IM so only one controller(Xinput 360) is detected by windows and games.

Okay I think I'm understanding it a bit better, but I'm still unsure about a few things...

Like, how do I know if the SCP stuff installed correctly, or if it is even working? I see four items: DS3 SCP Service, Bus Driver, Bus Device, and Bluetooth Driver (after force install). Do I even need the bluetooth driver if my bluetooth receiver has already been working all this time, via it's original driver install, or is this one something completely different and additional?

It sounds like you have some DS3 stuff installed? You cannot use DS3 tools in conjunction with IM, and IM 1.5 does not support DS3's

3 years 2 months ago #7 by victor martinez

Wobbles wrote:

victor martinez wrote:

It sounds like you have some DS3 stuff installed? You cannot use DS3 tools in conjunction with IM, and IM 1.5 does not support DS3's

I have no other ds3 stuff installed other than scp server package.

What is it about the trigger buttons that is special from the other buttons? I just want to use L2/R2 in ePSXe again, is that too much to ask?

I finished reformatting Windows (had to upgrade hard drive anyway) and it is the same result. I have no idea what to even do or say anymore.

3 years 2 months ago #8 by Wobbles

victor martinez wrote:

Wobbles wrote:

victor martinez wrote:

I have no other ds3 stuff installed other than scp server package.

What is it about the trigger buttons that is special from the other buttons? I just want to use L2/R2 in ePSXe again, is that too much to ask?

I finished reformatting Windows (had to upgrade hard drive anyway) and it is the same result. I have no idea what to even do or say anymore.

Right, you cannot be using any DS3 tools in conjunction with IM. They will almost always give you problems.

3 years 2 months ago #9 by wirenut48
IM has it's own version of SCP and should be installed automatically, any previous installed versions(DS3 SCP) will cause conflicts. Run the scp you have installed and uninstall it with all it's options, then reinstall IM.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

3 years 2 months ago #10 by victor martinez
Tbh, I really prefer DS4Windows over IM since I'm just a bit more comfortable and familiar with it. Although at this point, I just want to get SOMETHING working properly, so I will definitely try your suggestion.

I was reading the wikia page of the SCP driver package and it mentioned about a joined trigger axis issue, which sounds like the issue i'm having. It said to download the directinput wrapper for directinput only "games". Is ePSXe emulator considered directinput only?

On another note, I think my issue is that SCP Server has been saying "Pad 1: Disconnected" this entire time, which I assume is not normal. Any other suggestions here?