$5.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$0.00
Average donation
$0.00

Randomly Disconnects

3 years 6 months ago #1 by Tim Smith
Hi everyone, first post here. Signed up about a problem I have with Inputmapper that I'm finding quite annoying. For the most part, my PS4 controller works fine using a cable or wireless via Bluetooth. However, no matter which, my controller will randomly disconnect at times during a game. This can sometimes cause my game to minimise as well. With a cable, I have to close the application down and reload it in order to get it to recognise it again. I figured it was just my USB cable/adapter being too sensitive and a slight nudge/move of the cable was causing it, but it does it even with a Bluetooth adapter plugged in.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 6 months ago #2 by Wobbles
to avoid minimizes disable the overlay popups setting, as for the disconnects the most common cause of this is an underpowered bus or too many devices on a single bus.

3 years 6 months ago #3 by Tim Smith
Okay, I've disabled the overlay popups setting. I have two USB buses - one on the front of the tower deck and one behind. The front one only has two devices plugged in - my phone charger, which isn't used all the time, and my Bluetooth adapter. Can't understand how it could be underpowered though.

3 years 6 months ago #4 by Wobbles
Make sure they are USB 2 and not 3. Could be drivers causing the issue then. Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for your MoBo. Then try swapping the drivers for the dongle

3 years 6 months ago #5 by Tim Smith
Does it have to be USB 2? I believe they're both 3, but surely they'd be backwards compatible and revert to 2? As far as I'm aware their drivers are up to date; can't find any newer ones.

Seem to be having a problem now with Inputmapper not even recognising the controller at all. The PC recognises the adapter and both my Bluetooth and controller are 'paid', but nothing shows up on Inputmapper. :-\

3 years 6 months ago #6 by Wobbles
It does have to be USB 2, USB is not "fully" backwards compatible and some devices behave weird on 3.0.

What has changed since we started talking?

3 years 6 months ago #7 by Tim Smith
I see. Is there any option that can be set to make it 2.0? My Bluetooth adapter seems to either not work when I plug it in and says it's not recognised or it does work but there's nothing listed under Settings > Bluetooth, or Inputmapper just doesn't find any controllers even when it's paired.

I'm guessing the PS4 controller's battery needs to be fully charged in order to work properly with Bluetooth? I tried it on my laptop, which has it's own built-in adapter, and Inputmapper will sometimes pick up the controller, but list it at only 10% charged and then disconnect.

3 years 6 months ago #8 by Wobbles
BT 2.0 is a hardware standard. It doesn't need to be fully charged, but obviously needs enough charge where the controller is useable.

You may have to disable WiFi to keep a good connection on a laptop due to the proximity of WiFi and BT antennas in laptops.

3 years 6 months ago #9 by Tim Smith
I'll remember that for next time when I'm gaming on my laptop. :)

I think there's something wrong with my USBs, particularly the ones at the front of the tower deck. Some devices aren't a problem while others feel loose when plugged in and don't always connect. Sometimes it'll recognise my adapter, but most of the time it says it's not recognised.

3 years 6 months ago #10 by Wobbles
Yikes, that could be a power issue, where the ports aren't getting enough juice to power the devices, bad ground could also do it. Do you have a USB extension or USB hub that you could plug into a back USB 2 port and locate the dongle in a nice place?