Number of donations
Highest donation
$10.00
Average donation
$3.67

IM 1.6.7.28171

3 years 7 months ago #1 by Stuart Smith
Hello All,
I'm having an issue connecting my controllers via bluetooth to my computer. I'm on Windows 7 as of right now. Basically, I had an older version of IM working, and then had to move my computer. When I replugged everything in, my controllers would no longer connect to IM. I thought it might have been an issue with the older version of IM, so I downloaded and installed the new one. But it seems to have not fixed the problem, and now I'm getting the popup where it complains about exclusive mode not working. I know there's a similar issue with Win10 right now, but does it extend to 7 as well?
Some more info: the game I'm trying to connect with is Rocket League; the controller will work for about a second before not responding any more. I'd like to get it to work using the USB cable, but I'd much prefer to have it on Bluetooth like I did before. How can I resolve this issue?
Thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #2 by wirenut48
You probably didn't get everything plugged back into the same locations when you moved the PC. The DS4 doesn't work thru USB 3.0 ports, which is my guess.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

3 years 7 months ago #3 by Wobbles
could also be not enough power to run the DS4 on the bus you plugged it into. try re arranging your USB

3 years 7 months ago #4 by Stuart Smith
Would this extend to the bluetooth adapter I have? I replugged it earlier today into a non-usb 3 port and it seemed to not fix anything. I checked all the wires beforehand as well and they all seem to be plugged in the same spots. It keeps telling me that there may be another application that's trying to access my controller. Would it be best if I were to just uninstall and reinstall everything (xbox accessories, .net framework, the whole list of stuff it checks for at the start)? Thanks again!

3 years 7 months ago #5 by wirenut48
You're not giving us much info on what's not working. Is your controller paired and connected to Bluetooth adapter? Does it show up in IM and work with Xinput test?

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

3 years 7 months ago #6 by Wobbles

Stuart Smith wrote: Would this extend to the bluetooth adapter I have? I replugged it earlier today into a non-usb 3 port and it seemed to not fix anything. I checked all the wires beforehand as well and they all seem to be plugged in the same spots. It keeps telling me that there may be another application that's trying to access my controller. Would it be best if I were to just uninstall and reinstall everything (xbox accessories, .net framework, the whole list of stuff it checks for at the start)? Thanks again!

If you are on Win 10 you should not have xbox acces anyway as it is built into the OS.

3 years 7 months ago #7 by Stuart Smith

wirenut48 wrote: You're not giving us much info on what's not working. Is your controller paired and connected to Bluetooth adapter? Does it show up in IM and work with Xinput test?

Sorry, I'll try to do better at describing what's going on. So when I try to pair the controller, it'll pop up in the bluetooth menu and say that a device is trying to connect.
I've installed all the necessary things (as far as I know), so I don't think it should need my input to connect my controller, but idk. Controller lightbar is blue and flashing at this point.
After a little bit, sometimes the lightbar will go out, and sometimes it will stay fully on blue (I assume this means it failed to connect, or connected). If it connects, it will only sometimes work with InputMapper (it's worked successfully 2/~15 times I've tried it).
InputMapper will usually have a popup from the system tray with a request to restart the controller as exclusive mode failed to connect and say something about Windows 10 AU mode. I got it working with the wired method last night by plugging it into a standard USB port (not USB3), but didn't try the Xinput test. I'll do that later tonight when I'm home. Controller worked fine though, the only thing was that it was plugged into the PC. Let me know if there is anything else you want to know, I'm at work right now but will be back later in the day.

Wobbles, I'm on Windows 7, not 10.

3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #8 by wirenut48
Win 7 has terrible bluetooth support, I remember having to jump through all kinds of hoops to get the DS4 to pair. The main thing "use as HID device" or something to that effect has to be checked in the controller properties during pairing. The problem was getting that checked before it would fail connecting as that took longer to get applied than the pairing time out.

IIRC, what I did was right click on the controller entry in BT list and enable that checkbox before pairing, but that didn't always work on the first try. There is several youtube videos on this though what worked for some didn't work for me. That is what got me to buy a second controller as once I got it paired in windows didn't want to have to go through that again after re pairing with the PS4. Win 10's native bluetooth support is a dream.