$2.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$5.00
Average donation
$3.50

Witcher 3 - Held button

3 years 4 months ago #1 by Aristidis Kallergis
If you have played The Witcher 3, chances are you know of the nice trick to speed cast signs, where you unbound (usually) the R2 trigger, and then you assign the R2 + Cross/Square/Triangle/Circle combos to keyboard keys corresponding to the numbers 3-7 and Q.
To be more specific, if you want to use eg. the aard sign, you have to press 3 to choose it and then q to use it. With a controller you would have to open a menu and choose the sign, and then use it whenever you press R2.

If you progress some more into the game you can use alternate signs. Those are cast when you keep R2 pressed for a bit.
In ds4windows the above method breaks at that point, because it just casts the sign like you had only pressed R2 and released immediately.

I downloaded and donated to inputmapper because after watching tutorials showing the use of "pressed","released","wait until released" etc, I understood that I could solve my problem. I can't find a way to solve it, to the point i'm thinking the newest version is buggy.

Here's what I did:
I unbound the square button and the R2 button.
I set the R2 and Square buttons to green color.
In the macros, I used "press and release" the keyboard number 7 (axii sign), then q->"pressed", then wait for release, then q->"released"

In the notepad, this works pretty well, it only writes 7q once, and it waits for me to release first and then I can use it again.
In the game, it does the exact opposite! In my mind, the worst case scenario would be to just cast the first form of the sign, the one that doesn't need the button held. Instead, when i use it, it casts the second form, even when I rapidly press and release both buttons. What's more, it doesn't let me do it again until I go into a menu and back into the game ( I believe this happens because maybe after going into a menu it resets the button's "pressed" or "released" values).

Please, give me some insight on what I should do, I'm really at a loss here, spent hours testing things...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 4 months ago #2 by Wobbles
Make sure to use scancode (checkbox in KB popup)

3 years 4 months ago #3 by Aristidis Kallergis
Yes, that was most probably the problem. I'm not sure, 'cause I haven't tried everything yet, so that's why i didn't post anything.
By the way, what's the difference between using scancode and not using it?

3 years 4 months ago #4 by Wobbles
Just different methods of sending the keys, scancode works better with most games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aristidis Kallergis

3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #5 by Aristidis Kallergis
Unfortunately I still have problems. Sometimes the signs don't change. Only after going into a menu and back again they do.
Do you have any recommended solution? Here is what i want:
*Map "R2+Square" to "press 3 and then press R2"
*Map "R2+Cross" to "press 4 and then press R2"
*Map "R2+Triangle" to "press 5 and then press R2"
*Map "R2+Circle" to "press 6 and then press R2"
*Map "R2+L1" to "press 7 and then press R2"

but with 2 things to notice:
1)X,Square, Triangle, Circle and L1 do their normal job while R2 isn't pressed.
2)Be able to keep the R2 signal I'm sending (I mean the one after the numbers 3-7 in each case) for as long as I'm keeping the combo pressed.

Also an extra question: How to use the "wait for retrigger" function? What is a common use-case?

UPDATE:
I mapped each of the above combo to just a number "press and release" (removed the R2 part), to see if i could at least get the witcher signs to change. I can only select each of the signs once, before i need to go to a menu for a kind of reset to happen.
The macro cannot be used again for some reason, until i go to a menu.

3 years 4 months ago #6 by Wobbles
I could use a full ss of the actual macros