$2.00
Emma
$2.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$5.00
Average donation
$2.21

Occasional disconnects, (possibly specific to Warframe?)

2 years 8 months ago #1 by Wiergate
Hi.

I've been running IM without any problems for some time, but recently I've started getting (seemingly) random disconnects. The ones I remember vividly have been while playing Warframe, although I've gotten them occasionally in Fallout 4 on earlier versions of IM.

I'm connected via cable to USB, and the problem is straightforward in that the lightbar turns off and I lose all control over my character. I've sometimes gotten warnings that my controller has high latency readings (15-30 ms) but this hasn't been consistent with it disconnecting.

I've searched the Warframe forums for similar problems but found nothing.
The reason I wonder if this might be specific (or more pronounced) in Warframe is that it's almost impossible to navigate certain parts of the game's UI without switching to mouse/keyboard in the PC version. No idea if this could throw a spanner in the works?

I've reinstalled IM, but the problems returned soon after. Like a fool I didn't save the crash logs before uninstalling/reinstalling and I can't find any now in spite of my controller disconnecting.

I'm on Windows 7 HP 6.1 Build 7601 SP 1. I'll copy/paste the log as I found it, please let me know if there's anything else I should look for.

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 8 months ago #2 by Wiergate
Update: constant disconnects in other games as well. My Dualshock 4 controller jumps between states and the 'USB connect' audio rings out every few seconds. Lightbar color changes between red, yellow, blue (the default when working) and simply off.

I'm given the message: "Warning: we are still unable to open the device exclusively even after running the exclusive mode tool for Win10 AU. The issue likely resides in another application that is trying to access the controller."

I've copied the logs in full using the four filters in that section.

2 years 8 months ago #3 by Wobbles
So I dont see any sign that the controller is disconnecting due to a software side issue, so that leaves us with hardware. What this means is that either the USB bus you are using is underpowered (power is shared among all USB devices on the bus/hub), Or the wire/port(at either end) is bad and has a bad connection. This can also happen if you have too much data on the bug but unless you have half a dozen webcams and external hard drives this is unlikely.

2 years 8 months ago #4 by Wiergate
I've tried two different ports, but I suppose I can disconnect external HDs and try the remaining ones. As you said, though, the USB ports shouldn't be under-powered. If it persists, I'll have to get a new cable and try that.
(Very typical that this happens on a weekend. I have the worst luck.)

I'll update when able.

2 years 7 months ago #5 by Wiergate
I should have updated ages ago, sorry about that. The issue was simply a damaged mini-USB connection on the cable I was using.
(Second time this happened, coincidentally. Making it a mini-USB connection seems like a poor idea from Sony in the first place - way too fragile.)

Feel free to close, mark as solved or similar.

Thanks for your help.