$2.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$500.00
Average donation
$20.61

Erratic button behaviour, even after buying a new controller

2 years 8 months ago #1 by Zealot
So for some months already I thought I had a damaged USB cable connecting my DS4 controller. So I bought a new cable. Still the same thing was happening, so I bought two more cables. Still didn't fix anything, so I thought it must have been my controller that was damaged somehow.

However yesterday I got a new DS4 v2, and to my despair the problem continues to happen! Sometimes the buttons are mapped correctly, but most times they're not. Sometimes a button doesn't work at all, sometimes pressing a button will behave like I pressed two buttons at the same time. Pulling the USB cable from the controller and re-plugging it again with the game running will almost always change something. Most of the times either the SHARE button or the Trackpad stops working, I rarely manage to get both working.
Since I use the controller to play Fallout 4, that means that I often need to alt-tab and back into the game again in order to save the game when the SHARE button isn't working, or I'm stuck with either First Person or Third Person when the Trackpad isn't working. And when L1 doesn't work that really pisses me off, because that's the V.A.T.S. button.

So this means that there's either some sort of issue with InputMapper, or some sort of issue with all of my USB2 ports. And I really need to sort this out while I can still return the new controller.
No issue arrises when doing the Xinput test though. I suppose that some sort of issue with Fallout 4 itself is also a possibility, or a combination of two of these three possibilities.

Application log:
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Virtual Bus Log:

Configuration.xml:

Profile:
The Profiles folder is empty.

OS version:
Windows 10 version 1607 (Compilation 14393.693)

InputMapper version:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 8 months ago #2 by Wobbles
The issue is right there in your log and in the yellow warning box in the application, the controller cannot connect exclusively.

2 years 8 months ago #3 by Zealot
How do I deal with it then?

2 years 8 months ago #4 by Wobbles
Make sure any application that could possibly be hooking hotkeys or controller input are closed when launching IM

2 years 8 months ago #5 by Zealot
I have absolutely no idea what application could be interfering, none whatsoever. Especially since I already formatted my PC once since I started having this issue, and it never disappeared. I believe I have a fairly lean machine, if anything is interfering...
I suppose it could be the Radeon software, Plex, Epson's all-in-one software, Nexus Mod Manager, Franz, F.lux, VoipConnect, Skype, Steam, Stardock's Start10, Roccat Kave XTD software, Roccat Isku FX software, Roccat Kone XTD software, Google Chrome, Office 2013 Pro, Notepad++, Raptr, and MPC-HC x64. And one of my Steam games I suppose, but I only play one game at a time, so only one is open at a time.
I have a few other programs running, but they weren't there before I formatted, like the ESET anti-virus, or Opera (I used Vivaldi before), Photoshop...

2 years 8 months ago #6 by Wobbles
any of those can be culprites, only way to figure out which one it is is to shut them all down one at a time until the error dissappears

2 years 8 months ago #7 by Zealot
But even if I do find the culprit I still need it running. Isn't there a way to prevent a piece of software to take precedence over InputMapper?

2 years 8 months ago #8 by Wobbles
Once you find the culprit, either disable the device interaction functionality causing the issue or start IM before that program.

1.7 will use Benjamin HidGuardian filter driver to make this work better, but the driver is still alpha and does not support BT yet (if it ever will).

2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #9 by Zealot
It does seem that Steam.exe is the problem. I'm going to install The Witcher II from GoG to see if the issue still happens, but I suspect that it will only be a problem if Steam is on, which is a necessity since most of my games are on Steam.
Am I the first guy to have a conflict with Steam?

Edit: And no, starting IM before Steam doesn't change anything. I tried that, the log shows a conflict short after Steam is launched and I'm not in the game yet.

2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 8 months ago #10 by Wobbles
All you need to do is start IM and connect the controller prior to starting steam or disable steams controller functionality.