$2.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$10.00
Average donation
$3.32

Erratic button behaviour, even after buying a new controller

2 years 9 months ago #11 by Zealot
I'm sorry Wobbles but that's not the truth at all. I wish it was that simple, but it really isn't. I closed Steam, unplugged the controller, plugged it in again, launched FO4 from the Nexus Mod Manager, which in turn it launched Steam, then the FO4Launcher, then I get in the game and load the last save, and the trackpad and L1 aren't working. I unplug and plug the USB cable again, and now the Share button doesn't work, and only then does the log acknowledge a conflict with Steam. In other words, from reading the log, IM is not aware at all that there is a conflict until after I disconnect and reconnect the controller.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #12 by Wobbles
I dont see where you made sure IM started prior to steam. did you disable steams controller functionality?

2 years 9 months ago #13 by Zealot

Wobbles wrote: I dont see where you made sure IM started prior to steam.

Closing both apps, then starting IM, and then launching the game leads to the same result as not starting IM before Steam.

Here's the full application log:
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Wobbles wrote: did you disable steams controller functionality?

That sounds like a really useful and pertinent thing to do, but I'm not able to find it. Googling "disable steam's controller functionality" wasn't helpful either. Can you walk me through this step please?

2 years 9 months ago #14 by Wobbles
I *believe* it is only accessible from within BPM (even though it effects all of steam). Just uncheck everything in the controller settings screen

2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #15 by Zealot
I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by "BPM". What is it?

Do you mean this middle checkbox about Big Picture? If not, I need directions...

Edit: Sorry, I unticked the box before taking the screenshot.
Attachments:

2 years 9 months ago #16 by Wobbles
Big Picture Mode, I believe controller settings can only be found in big picture mode.

2 years 9 months ago #17 by Zealot
This is what I have. Now what?
Attachments:

2 years 8 months ago #18 by Zealot
So it seems that only Fallout 4 is affected by these bugs. It doesn't matter if I run with or without mods, start the game from either Steam or the Nexus Mod Manager, start a new game or load a save game. It seems that there's unlogged behaviour with Input Mapper and that only after I plug the cable from the controller with the game running and plug it in again is IM able to log in a conflict of opening the device exclusively.
So:
1) Why is Fallout 4 trying to control the controller exclusively?
2) Why is IM not noticing the conflict when I start Fallout 4?
3) How do I get IM and Fallout 4 to play along?

2 years 8 months ago #19 by Wobbles
Again, it exclusive mode cannot happen after the controller is already in use. The conflict isnt fallout 4, its that a software cannot gain exclusive access when other software is already using the device, this goes against the meaning of exclusive.

2 years 8 months ago #20 by Zealot
No... you're really not getting the point. You obviously skimmed through my last post! No matter what apps I turn off, when I launch IM, IM doesn't catch any conflict with exclusivity! Only when I get inside Fallout, notice that some buttons aren't working, unplug the cable, plug it back in, then check the log, does IM catch the exclusivity conflict!
And then you say that the conflict isn't Fallout 4, when the issue ONLY happens with Fallout 4! I really went through SEVERAL other games, both in Steam and in GoG, and the conflict ONLY happens with Fallout 4!

If you want me to make some time for you to Team Speak to my machine, just tell me when, but I need you to understand that Fallout 4 launches without any conflict according to the logs, meaning that it's quite likely that your code isn't logging this conflict until I pull the cable when FO4 is already running because it doesn't know what bug this could be.
But look, if you immediately notice that I forgot to do something that you told me to do and I ignored it, or I was dumb in following your instructions, I give you my word that I'll volunteer a "stupid tax" of $5 USD. That's like a rate of $2.50 per minute right? My "stupid tax" is capped at $5 though, I can't let the meter running... :P