$2.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$500.00
Average donation
$19.97

Duplicate controller when plugging in DS4 while using Sony DS4 dongle

2 years 2 months ago #1 by Marcus
I've had this problem since I got a Sony DS wireless dongle, and I get the impression if others do not have this problem it's thanks to a workaround I'm not using.

InputMapper detects the dongle as a controller, even when the DS4 itself is asleep. That's not problematic until it's time to charge. All my profiles use X360 emulation. The problem is, when I plug in the DS4 for charging, it's detected as a native DS4. I now have two 'controllers' showing in IM: The wireless dongle and the cable-connected DS4. Game controllers control panel shows an X360 controller (the emulated one which stood alone prior to cable connection) and the native DS4 (wired).

The controller changes IDs and requires a reconfiguration when going from wired to wireless or vice versa. This didn't happen when I used a generic BT dongle before recently acquiring the Sony dongle. Some games will only work with the first controller, and thus I can't play them at all unless I kill the wireless dongle until I'm ready to go wireless again. Other games require me to point to a different controller mid-session. On occasion, disconnecting the cable will not cause the wired device to disappear and it has to be manually removed in device manager, or IM restarted.

My workaround for the problem was to charge with a wall adapter. Unfortunately, the DS4 doesn't charge at all under that configuration (tried 2.0A and 2.4A chargers).

I believe I understand why the problem is happening. Is this something that will be worked around in newer versions? I imagine it already has been with 1.7, but I am not adventurous enough to try it yet.

The problem occurs on Windows 7 and 10 (Anniversary and Creators), using IM 1.6.10.

This log shows me turning the controller on (wireless Sony dongle), then plugging it into the PC for charging purposes. Note the end result is the same when plugging the controller into the PC when the controller is in sleep mode (after holding down the PS button on it to put it to sleep):

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 1 month ago #2 by wirenut48
Windows has always seen the DS4 as a different controller depending on connection. It was the SCP driver that made the change of ID's when switching from BT to USB. I've ditched the dongle as the game I play doesn't recognize the dongle as a DS4 controller and was no longer able to get it to work as a virtual 360 controller with IM. I'm sure this will get sorted out in the newer versions of IM and drivers, But to add I have no problem charging the DS4 with a wall charger, but never tried it while playing paired to the PC or dongle.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.