$2.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$500.00
Average donation
$19.97

Anybody have current latency numbers?

2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 month ago #1 by SuperDerpBro
Is a wireless Dualshock 4 + inputmapper fast enough for retro games?

I am building an "emulator box" and am trying to find the best single controller for most systems. So, needs analog and a good d-pad. Seems like the DS4 is the best all around controller with a great d-pad. I have read that it has less latency when used wireless than wired (kinda weird). However, is that just the connection from the controller to the PC/dongle? I have read more than a few times people talking about the actual encoding of the inputs to xinput can add 40+ ms of extra latency.. :/

Example: Eurogamer did a test on input latency and they found that Input Mapper's process of taking the Dual Shock 4 inputs and translating them into standard PC Xinput adds a considerable amount of latency". They noted that "initial results were deeply unimpressive, with the PC actually lagging behind PlayStation 4 by a remarkable 41ms (five frames on our 120fps captures)," but by switching to a wired Xbox controller they removed any additional latency and brought it in line with the PS4 version.

www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundr...t-fighter-5-face-off

Has this been addressed since then? Anyone have any experience with this? Pretty expensive to buy one and a Bluetooth dongle only to find that i can't play Mario 3, for example, well with it :/

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 1 month ago #2 by wirenut48
I haven't noticed any issues with latency. The new version under development should improve upon this with it's cleaner code.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

2 years 1 month ago #3 by SuperDerpBro
That's why i asked if anyone had numbers. Lots of people "don't notice any lag bro". My brother games happily on and HDTV with horrible lag. He had no idea until i showed him the numbers on displaylag.com and then with a controller. hehe. Not a huge deal with modern games but i am setting up a PC dedicated to retro games. The inherent lag in most emulators is enough i don't want to add to it.