$5.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$50.00
Average donation
$6.00

Only support for 4 controllers?

1 year 9 months ago #1 by Rockloi
I'm trying to play 8P Towerfall with Dualshocks. I have 6 controllers connected to my BT with inputmapper in exclusive mode, but inputmapper only sees 4 at a time (disconnecting one makes another appear in IM).

If I disable exclusive mode then all 8 slots are filled with 4 Inputmapper controllers and 4 wireless controllers, and if I enable HIDGUARDIAN I can't use any DS4 controllers wired because they don't provide input.

Any suggestions of workarounds or if IM will ever support more than 4 controllers? Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 9 months ago #2 by wirenut48
I've never heard of anything supporting more than 4 controllers. HIDGuardian hides the ds4 controller making them inoperable. That way games only see the 360 so you don't get double inputs.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

1 year 9 months ago #3 by Wobbles
xInput standard only supports 4 controllers, because of this limitation there is no need for IM to pay attention to more than 4 controllers as it cant do anything with the other ones.

1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #4 by Rockloi

wirenut48 wrote: I've never heard of anything supporting more than 4 controllers. HIDGuardian hides the ds4 controller making them inoperable. That way games only see the 360 so you don't get double inputs.

Yeah I get HIDGuardian, was just wondering if there was maybe a way to not hide all the controllers or some other workaround to have a mix of XInput and DInput controllers.

Wobbles wrote: xInput standard only supports 4 controllers, because of this limitation there is no need for IM to pay attention to more than 4 controllers as it cant do anything with the other ones.

Ah right so it's an XInput limitation. So you can't ever have more than 4 Xbox controllers?

Ended up getting an 7-port USB hub off of Prime Now in the end so we did manage to play 6 player that day, would just be nice if not every DS4 had to be wired is all.