$2.00
lookingglassties
$2.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$500.00
Average donation
$20.61

Left stick also engaging camera movement? No arrows/directions on Offset Wizard?

1 year 6 months ago #1 by RobotNick
Hello friends,

My two issues have been bothering me for quite some time. This mainly happens in the Witcher 3, which is about the only game I use with DS4 at the moment. Occasionally, moving Geralt with the left stick forward will also move the camera, always panning to the left. I have no idea what is the issue. I am wired with exclusive mode enabled. I tried using the offset wizard to see if this is a deadzone/offset issue. Unfortunately, after the first message displaying some initial instructions about the wizard, the window shows a blank screen without directions, but the recentering message will show up if I engage the stick. Not knowing which direction to push the stick makes it a little hard to problem solve!

Thanks for any assistance rendered, my peoples.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #2 by wirenut48
I assuming look is the right stick. That is probably the culprit as it may not be centering fully(calibration slightly off to the left). Need a radial deadzone applied large enough to cover the play in the stick. (Edit) That's if it is actually panning and not strafing, for that check next post.

I have only used the offset to check it out when introduced, so don't remember how it worked. Don't think it is going to fix your issue, so not going to bother with it as you need to manually edit the file to reset it.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #3 by wirenut48
After thinking about this a bit more, you could be on the right path. I don't have Witcher 3 so don't know what control method it uses. When asking for help this would be helpful info to include. It could be the left stick that needs a Axial(applied the length of axis) deadzone added. That's if the game controls are K/M(digital, one direction only) the stick could be outputting a slight neg value when pushed forward if out of calibration.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

1 year 4 months ago #4 by Kain Morgen
Hello wirenut,

I think this topic should be taken seriously.
I, too, have the problem that it doesnt matter what keys are bound to the left stick of the DS4 Controller, it also can be completely unbound. If the analog stick is in the right half of the circle (0 to 6 o' clock) then my mouse curse is slowly moving to the left. If the stick is in the left half of the circle (6 to 12 o' clock) then the mouse cursor stays where it should be. Sometimes the analog stick is not registered back in the center after I press it and then the mouse cursor glitch lasts until I move the stick to the left half and let it recenter.
Adding Deadzone to the Left Stick doesnt help at all on this matter. The DeadZone can be as high as 100% and the mouse cursor will still move to the left whenever that glitch happens.

Another glitch I often encounter and am very frustrated with is that when I try to use the right stick for the mouse movement (to control the camera in a game) then even if I somehow manage to find a setting where the sensitivity and deadzone work halfway decent together and the stick is not still registered pressing in a direction too much after recentering (I can't get rid of that completely all the time), then still the mouse cursor moves much(!) faster up than it does move left, down or right.

1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #5 by wirenut48
The glitch is with the DS4, it has to much play when centered and rarely centers to zero. Proper way around this is for the game to include a deadzone on the analog sticks. Not familiar with the controls in that game, but I take it doesn't support a controller. IM can be used to apply a deadzone to the analog sticks. If you apply a 5% DZ to each stick and it is still happening then maybe there is a bug with IM, or the game is doing something preventing this.

There is a know bug with the sensitivity on the the right stick not working in all directions. Probably won't see a fix to this in this version as development is focused on 1.7. I recommend adding 75% or more curve in place of sensitivity. I think it works better as the cursor movement only slows down when near the center position(reason for large curve). You still get max speed when fully tilted, whereas sensitivity limits the max value.

1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #6 by Kain Morgen
Well, as I said the problem that is driving me nuts is that the Left Analog Stick - NO MATTER WHAT keys are bound to it (even if none at all) NOR which deadzone I set (even a full deadzone of 100%), whenever the stick is tilted any angle to the right side, my mouse cursor starts sliding left and in some games that means my camera begins to rotate.

Mostly while moving my character, because that is usually what the left stick is for.

There is no way to fix this glitch with a deadzone.
And I see no reason why the mouse cursor moves left while the anolog stick is tilted to the right even if all bindings are removed from the analog stick in input mapper. There also is no weird side effect when the stick is tilted to the left side.

Oh and obviously I used small values for deadzones before. It's not that I'm not trying to configure IM right.
My point is even when I set the DZ to extreme values and the left stick shouldnt have any function anymore at all, then it still does something I didn't instruct IM to do. So I call that a glitch.

1 year 4 months ago #7 by wirenut48
Attach the file of your profile so I can try out your configuration. I can't seem to duplicate what you're describing with my WADS profile. Which is using the left stick KB WADS preset and right stick Mouse preset.

1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #8 by Kain Morgen
Alright, thanks you for your effort.

It would be great if you can find out, why the glitch occurs.

Here are two examples of profiles I use that don't glitch my mouse cursor:
PS4 Test - basically a default DS4->Xbox profile with a little bit of sensitivity and deadzones applied.

File Attachment:

File Name: PS4 Test.xml
File Size:3 KB

Hearthstone - a profile that uses the left stick as the mouse instead of the right stick and lets me use the left mouse button. (Not really recommended for competitive play)

File Attachment:

File Name: Hearthstone.xml
File Size:4 KB

And those two are examples for profiles that glitch my mouse cursor:
Ghost of a Tale: Mouse cursor is going left whenever the left stick is pointed more to the right than being perfectly centered.

File Attachment:

File Name: Ghost of a Tale.xml

Stardew: Mouse cursor is going left whenever the left stick is NOT pointed more left than centered.

File Attachment:

File Name: Stardew.xml

Please tell me whether or not you can replicate this behaviour with those profiles.
If not, the glitch might be somewhere else in my Input Mapper or system settings.
I am using the 2nd Gen of the DS4 controller and I added the necessary registry lines for the HIDGuardian to enable exclusive mode for it.
The glitch seems to appear both in USB-wired and bluetooth-wireless mode.

Thanks again
Attachments:

1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #9 by wirenut48
Problem was with the Deadzone type, needed to be Hard_Radial.

The sensitivity on the right stick is broken. Only works when moving the stick right or down, left or up is still full speed. So what I do is use a very large curve setting with full sensitivity so the cursor speed is consistent in all directions. The more you tilt the stick the faster the cursor moves. But with the high curve you still get pretty precise movement which can be adjusted with the curve setting. I have done this with the profiles I am returning for you to try out.

IM version 1.7 is not to far from being usable as a replacement for 1.6. He is working on the mapping and axis adjustments now. Should fix the shortcomings and bugs in 1.6.

Attachments:

1 year 4 months ago #10 by Kain Morgen
Thank you, that was actually very helpful.
It seems to be working way better now.

I even tried to use Hard_Radial for the problematic left stick, but left it at Axial for the right stick, which didnt bother me at that point and that didnt change the behavior.

Is there an in-depth guide that explains all of the different setting options?
Especially the difference between Axial and Hard_Radial and when to use which? Because in some of my profiles Axial seems to work just fine for both sticks, without any glitches.
Then there might also be some rare application for when to prefer the Keyboard over a Scancode, etc.