$2.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$500.00
Average donation
$20.61

Steam/Exclusive mode

1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #1 by unknown
Hello, just asking a quick question here.

Is it possible to make Steam see my DS4 while maintaining exclusive mode? There are games out there rely on Steam Contoller settings to display button prompts, DS4/PS4 in my case.

If it is not, will downgrading to windows 7 help? I don't need HIDGuardian to get exclusive mode for DS4 on Windows 7 right?

Or are there any other way I can make Steam see my DS4 while maintaining exclusive mode?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #2 by wirenut48
Depending on the game exclusive mode is needed on any operating system when using IM, as it is creating and solely using a virtual 360 controller. So the bottom line is you can't use IM with or without exclusive mode and get DS4 prompts no matter what you do. This hopefully will change in the new version 1.7 and be able to map and output as a DS4 instead of a 360.

To use the DS4 with steam and get DS4 prompts you would need to shutdown IM and disable Guardian. HID Guardian is a stand-a-lone filter driver. If you have installed the InputMapper version you should see some shortcuts to install/uninstall in the installation directory, these will stop/start the whitelister service. C:\program files (x86)\dsdcs\inputmapper guardian.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

1 year 5 months ago #3 by unknown
Whoah can't wait for full IM 1.7 release.

So I did use "uninstall service" shortcut but both Steam and InputMapper do not detect the controller anymore. I tried restarting pc/Steam/DS4. Do I have to completely uninstall HIDGuardian to make Steam see DS4 again? Or am I doing something wrong?

If I "install service" InputMapper does detect the controller again.

1 year 5 months ago #4 by wirenut48
I haven't really played around with this much except to see what the shortcuts do. They shut down the service InpumapperCererusWhilister. Now that may just disable exclusive mode in IM. You could try disabling HIDGuardian in the Device Manager and see if that if does what you need.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

1 year 5 months ago #5 by unknown
I tried disable "HIDGuardian Virtual Device" in Device Manager (but it is listed under system devices not human interface devices) and uninstalled service. Then I restarted Steam but unfortunately Steam still does not see my DS4. I guess I'll have to make do with Xbox prompts since uninstalling HIDGuardian just for Steam is too much hassle.

I hope IM 1.7 will be better. Thanks

1 year 5 months ago #6 by wirenut48
I'm sure you would have to reboot after disabling the driver. Found out that stopping the "IM Cerberus Whitelister" service even hides it from IM. But If you don't have any games that require exclusive mode when running IM then it wouldn't matter if you disabled or uninstalled it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: unknown