Rain
$2.00
Fahad
$2.00
Carlo
$5.00
m3rlinsbart
$2.00
Thank you - works great with Pokemon Desmume Emulator!
Number of donations
Highest donation
$50.00
Average donation
$6.25

Reboot/start up requires re-pairing DS4 for BT connectivity

1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #1 by clidx
It's a small inconvenience really, but whenever I reboot or start up Windows 10, I have to remove the "Wireless Controller" from bluetooth settings and re-pair the controller with PS+share and then IM recognizes it. After that I can turn the controller on and off normally and IM will pick it up until the next shutdown or reboot where I have to re-pair it. What's going on here?

Nothing relevant appears in the IM log at any log level when I turn the controller on, if I haven't re-paired it yet.

Device manager says the manufacturer of the BT adapter is 15 and that's supposed to be Broadcom, plus I can barely just make out the markings "BCM24"-something on the IC. It's just using whatever generic drivers Windows decided to throw at it. I'm not sure it's a hardware or driver issue though.

Oh yeah and I'm using IM 1.6.10.19991

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #2 by wirenut48
Definitely peculiar behavior and IM won't recognise it if it is not connected, turning it on is not enough. What is the BT status before and after turning it on? I would check the Device Manager for any hidden fantom controllers that could be enabled by default preventing it from connecting. Just enable hidden devices in the view tab. Windows likes to keep copies of devices and settings for future connection, and if a device is not terminated properly you could end up with duplicate devices.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

1 year 4 months ago #3 by clidx
Ah that seems to be it! I've been turning the DS4 off with the home button which leaves 2 Wireless Controllers in device manager. I only just realized the BT icon at the top of IM disconnects the controller, presumably more cleanly than via the home button. After a reboot it took 2 tries but IM picked it up without re-pairing and there was only 1 entry in device manager. Thanks!

Maybe there could be a tooltip added over that button? The buttons next to it are easy enough to understand just by their icon (edit and new profile) but a generic bluetooth icon doesn't indicate that it will disconnect the controller.

1 year 4 months ago #4 by wirenut48
With IM 1.6 you can use that button or just press PS+Options. There is also a global setting to turn the controller off with IM exit. Yes, it could use some better documentation, especially with the PS+Option quick disconnect option it's only known by word of mouth.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10