$10.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$500.00
Average donation
$21.92

3D Connexion won't appear in Input Devices

2 years 9 months ago #11 by Jeremy Hansen
my 3d connexion also won't appear. i am 100% sure i don't have the notebook version (mine has the rounded-off, non-sqared-off side buttons) i have downloaded many plugins and the only thing that made any sense in this comment thread to me was that you have to do some decoding for the slightly-different notebook version of the 3d connexion mouse. other than that, my normal 3d mouse should be working correctly, right? i think input mapper may have crashed my computer a couple of times since my computer only seems to be crashing when uninstalling or reinstalling inputmapper version 1.6 (whatever the newest version of 1.6 is) or inputmapper version 2.Owhatever'sthenewestversionof2. i'm still reading about how i'm supposed to track down my crash reports or whatever files you like to do your troubleshooting, but other than the crashing, it just seems strange that the 3d mouse just doesn't even show up under input devices. i saw your video of you using your 3d mouse for your cursor and that was so sick and i've been waiting so long to be able to re-map this thing for being more than CAD useful!!!

Prrr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 9 months ago #12 by Wobbles
So far the plugin is only good for the notebook version, it will not work for devices that it is not programmed for. If you are experiencing PC crashes it should tell you what the faulting driver is.

2 years 9 months ago #13 by Lasairfion Silverstar
Are you then likely to modify it for the standard version of the 3DConnexion? If not then it may be worth putting a note on that download page that it's device specific to the notebook version and thus not going to work for anyone others of us with earlier models who may be searching for an input/keyboard mapper that works for us.

2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #14 by Wobbles
It can be easily modified by me or someone else (the code is on git) to add support, its just since I dont have a physical device present its hard to do the development for it.

github.com/InputMapper/3DConnection

2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #15 by Jeremy Hansen
ooohhh haha my understanding was backwards. so you're saying you made it for the notebook version and the standard version is the one that needs to be decoded and is on github?

Prrr

2 years 9 months ago #16 by Wobbles
I have the notebook version and the code for that plugin is on my Git

2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #17 by Jeremy Hansen
ok, thanks for the fix wobbles! now, if anyone knows what to do with the fix, please help walk me through it. on the github page i see a 3dconnexion folder and a 3dconnexion.sln file and a couple other files and a readme.md file that has the code that wobbles posted in these comments. am i supposed to download/unzip everything on this page? after that do i need to put it into the 3dconnexion plugin folder manually? or am i supposed to copy-paste these lines of code directly into the already existing plugin files somewhere? if so -- i would not know which file to paste them into.

thanks wobbles!

Prrr

2 years 9 months ago #18 by Wobbles
There is no fix, I do not have that device so I cannot write code for it. The code on git is of the existing plugin which would have to be modified and compiled by someone who has the device and an understanding of c# and HID programming.

2 years 9 months ago #19 by Jeremy Hansen
OOOHHH, ok wow i'm dumb. i totally misunderstood that. should i remove my last comment so that nobody gets confused thinking this is a fix? or is it safe to assume that anyone reading this is smart enough to know i'm just some moron who doesn't know what they're doing? hahahaha

Prrr

2 years 8 months ago #20 by Matthew Coyne
github.com/mason-larobina/spnavkbd

Here's a link to a similar project on GitHub that could prove useful maybe? It's code to make a keyboard emulate the Space Navigator on a keyboard. I myself would love even the most basic ($100) version of the space navigator which is basically a fancy volume control knob for use in 3D Software, CAD, 3DS Max, Cinema 4D, etc. Since I work with all sorts of these programs daily, but cannot yet afford to by even the most basic 3D Mouse yet. There are/were(?) plugins for Cinema 4D that allowed the use of MIDI devices, Wii Motes and other HID compliant devices to be used for scene navigation and camera movement in modeling programs. The thing is ever since these fancy new Mice came out support for these plugins halted. Being a user of InputMapper myself and even as far back as when I used to use a DS3 on for PC gaming, it was the first thing that came to mind in finding an alternative to being forced to purchase an expensive peripheral for ease of use while working. I simply love Cinema 4D, but I can't stand their viewport navigation, though I am getting better at using the basic keyboard shortcuts, that still require using a mouse, but it's stupid they don't let you alter the location of the UI buttons you have to click on with the mouse to navigate because they're on the top of the render window and I'm constantly repositioning my mouse because it keeps going off screen due to rotating or zooming my camera. That's why I've been searching for a way to use my DS4 as my camera dolly, or a pivot cam in Cinema 4D or even 3DS Max, Maya, Blender, etc. Honestly if all those programs I just listed were somehow able to all just combine all their respective viewport controls into one instance, I could die happy. Blender has an atrocious UI but I like it's viewport control scheme. 3DS Max/Maya have pretty good UI and I love the 3D wheel they have for viewport but overall I just find Cinema 4D the most feature rich, easy to navigate and IMO more user friendly but Cinema 4D has no 3D wheel in view port and add that to the problems I listed above and here we are.

I literally know JACK shit about coding, anything. I just stick to texturing, modeling, meshes, etc and have only just started looking at animations and peeking into scripting for quests and what not, AI behaviour, stuff like that. ( I'm still a huge Skyrim player and though I played Fallout 4 when it first came out, I've just now started to get back into it and modding it now that all the DLC has been released and new ground has been laid as far as new animations go.

I downloaded all the files I saw you list in your original post as well as anything else off the GitHub to try looking into this. I'd love to get my DS4 working for my modeling programs but if not that then possibly using this eyesore of a volume knob on my ASUS keyboard to act as an emulator for the Space Navigator. Since I never use it to actually control volume as the speakers I have for my desk have a volume knob dongle for that. In theory it sshould be possible, since both the Space Navigator family products use a control knob very similar to the one found on keyboards for volume control or MIDI devices for audio ascrubbing or various other means of use.