Number of donations
Highest donation
$10.00
Average donation
$3.44

DS4 V2 support... ?

1 year 3 months ago #1 by RedShadow
Hello,

After all these years... I'm still using IM successfully for my DS4 V1! :)

Recently I bought a DS4 V2.
Looks like there is at least an issue when I directly plug the DS4 V2 by USB cable.
Gamepad is recognized by the OS, IM then detects it, but eventually the pad disconnects from IM with a 'write failure'.

As for Bluetooth, it seems there is a conflict with my DS4 V1 which is already paired. Looks like I can't pair the DS4 V2 since the OS may think it's the same device already paired... I'm speculating a little bit here, but pretty much the DS4 V2 can't get paired with my PC. I gotta try to completely remove the DS4 V1 from the devices and try again. Will report back.

I did not investigate more at the moment, I'd rather ask directly if there are known issues for the DS4 V2.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #2 by RedShadow
I just saw this topic
inputmapper.com/forum/inputmapper-1-5-su...-2nd-gen-controllers

Will give the registry patch a try.
Also I never used HidGuardian. Never had to in 4 years.
But will give it a shot as well.

1 year 3 months ago #3 by RedShadow
Crap.. I posted this on the wrong subsection. Should be in InputMapper 1.0 Support

1 year 3 months ago #4 by wirenut48
shouldn't be any problem using both versions, I have done it. NOT SURE WHY YOU WOULD BE HAVING PROBLEMS KEEPING IT CONNECTED. As for BT maybe your adapter is a bit more finicky with the V2.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedShadow

1 year 3 months ago #5 by RedShadow
I did the test as promised:
I removed my DS4 v1 device, and then tried to pair the DS4 v2 alone.
It did pair this time but IM did not detect it.
This seems to be an issue with my BT and seems to be unrelated to IM.
My BT adapter is a Belkin F8T016 with a Broadcom chip (BCM20702).
I always had issues with it, I gotta change adapter someday.

Then, I removed this DS4 v2 device, and plugged it in using USB.
Now, IM was detecting the pad, but would throw a 'write failure' error before disconnecting the pad.
Looks like IM does not support DS4 v2 devices, at least with using USB.

1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #6 by wirenut48
You've got something wrong with your windows configuration. That Broadcom chipset is the preferred one for all versions of the DS4. First remove all your controllers from the Bluetooth devices. Then turn on "view hidden devices" from the view tab in the Device Manager, then go through and uninstall all BT, Xbox, wireless and USB HID controllers. They will reinstall when turned on again, but you will be rid of any phantom controller which could be causing you issues.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

1 year 3 months ago #7 by RedShadow
Correction, my BT is "BCM920702"

Will try to remove all of the hidden devices that I indeed have in the device manager.
I never knew this view/option existed. Interesting....

1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #8 by wirenut48
Yes windows retains a copy of every device that has been connected. Problem occurs when it is the same device you're now trying to use has been previously disabled. And yes that BT adapter should be just fine so doubt it could be the problem.

1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #9 by RedShadow
Well, I removed everything that I could remove. Many HID devices were hidden, many xbox360 controllers, and also did remove my BT device.

After rebooting, still, my BT won't pair with the DS4 v2. Actually, it doesn't even 'see' it when I try to pair it. However, trying to pair the DS4 v1 has no issues.

The only way I can pair the v2, is to activate pairing on my v1, then shutdown the v1 pairing, and while my BT still shows 'wireless controller' ready to pair on PC, I quickly activate pairing with the v2 and select on the PC the 'wireless controller' which is still displayed.
At this point the pad is somehow paired as IM can detect it. But just like when the v2 is connected with USB, it eventually gives a write failure error after a few seconds.

My BT issues must be specific to my computer, and are unrelated to IM anyway.
But USB connection should work.
So I guess IM 1.6 is not compatible with my DS4 v2 anyway.