Rain
$2.00
Fahad
$2.00
Carlo
$5.00
m3rlinsbart
$2.00
Thank you - works great with Pokemon Desmume Emulator!
Katie
$2.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$50.00
Average donation
$6.53

Fork of app for Steam Controller?

3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #1 by the926
So I am a steam controller user who likes using the Gyro for most shooters and some racers.

The inability to use this functionality for UWP apps (because of the steam overlay requirement) led me to see if the DS4 and your app could do that. (EX play gears of war ultimate addition with the gyro mapped to right stick look or forza apex with it mapped to left stick turn)

First can the app pass that through to a UWP app masquerading as a direct input device? If so I may pick up a DS4 and dongle.

Second, If it can, how hard would it be to do the same for a steam controller since the same basic items are there (gyro, touchpads, basic button layout, etc) only real difference is there being no true right stick or dpad.

Thanks ahead of time. There's a decent community of users who would likely be interested in a steam controller version of this to use on non steam games such as origin and UWP apps.

Edit: Quick video of using the steam controller with doom (2016) to show what I'm talking about. I have the gyroscope mapped to mouse movement. https://youtu.be/NAttH0-6CIk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 2 months ago #2 by Wobbles
So I don't even have a stem controller, I cancelled my order after some bad reviews of the ergonomics. Its not entirely possible to include the controller into the IM family, but then it would be plagued with all the same shortcomings as the DS4 when it comes to exclusive mode and compatibility. Would also mean getting my hands on a controller to use for development.

3 years 2 months ago #3 by the926
Well they have come a long way since initial release. They are also only $35 bucks on Amazon. I'd be down to donate a little toward that cause.

If I can use the DS4 gyro as right stick or mouse look that's also an option. I pretty much don't play shooters using standard right stick look anymore.

I just came across your application and it looked like you were basically already most of the way there since both devices use Bluetooth and have gyro, touchpad, and standard button layouts. ( the triggers are dual stage)

3 years 2 months ago #4 by Wobbles
More likely instead of forking, I would just include it into the list of compatible controllers in IM 1.6

3 years 2 months ago #5 by the926
Sounds good. I'll keep an eye out if you decide to mess with it.

3 years 1 month ago #6 by the926
www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LarsDoucet/20161...Steam_Controller.php

Looks like DS4 support is coming to steam. Basically the inverse of what we discussed.

3 years 1 month ago #7 by Wobbles

the926 wrote: www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LarsDoucet/20161...Steam_Controller.php

Looks like DS4 support is coming to steam. Basically the inverse of what we discussed.

DS4 is coming to Steam API, not Steam, check this out for clarification: inputmapper.com/39-check-in-oct-13-2016-...ing-to-steam-sort-of

3 years 1 month ago #8 by the926
Yeah I saw that later in the evening but it definitely shows that the two are pretty similar and give some hope for future titles.

Things like being able to change the button prompts on the fly were also cool (if the API is included.)

It still doesn't fix what we were initially discussing which was adding the steam controller to your app (via additional option or whatnot)

This is more like the inverse of that.

3 years 1 month ago #9 by Wobbles
Its possible, well see what kind of budget I have to work with come the end of the month. Ive held off and purchasing one so far just for giggles because of the negative reviews surrounding it when it comes to shooters. But whatever happens it wont be overnight. Expanding IM to allow multiple controller types is no small feat.

3 years 1 month ago #10 by the926
Oh I understand completely I work more on the infrastructure side Of IT but I know enough about programming to know that every change and addition is different time wise.

I'm not expecting anything I just came across your program when I was researching theory about how it could be done and saw that you'd basically done it already.

If you want to make a separate fund for a controller let me know and I'll donate to it. If not let me know and I'll donate to your main fund.