$2.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$500.00
Average donation
$19.97

How to get macros working in game?

1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #1 by TonyMcD
Sorry for the large post. I tried to clean it a little. The black text pertains to the main issue I want resolved. The purple section is a separate problem that I believe may have the same root cause.

I have searched this forum and elsewhere on the internet but am unable to find any working solution. Outside of any games or the on-screen keyboard, macros work fine. It was confusing learning how to set them up, but I've successfully created all the macros that I wanted. Specifically volume up and down, the windows key (ctrl + esc because if I assign the windows key to the macro it doesn't work), and alt tab plus alt shift tab.

However, in games and the on-screen keyboard these macros do not work. I have tried using the scancode checkbox but that does not work either. Even if it did how would I apply that to volume control as that checkbox is not available. Nor is there a key command to change volume. The touchpad mouse control also stops functioning inside of games. Can that be resolved as well?

The only thing I can think that may be interfering is the lack of exclusive mode functionality. I have tried for days to get exclusive mode working but to no avail. The only solution that I see is to get the Sony wirelesses dongle and follow the tutorial (that I do not currently have a link to). I plan on getting this in the future as I am told this will enable headphone support from the controller. If I am able to get exclusive mode working, will that fix the macro problem? I only ask because the controller has been working fine without it, with the exception of in-game macros.

Another question about exclusive mode. The only game I can't get to work is Attack on Titan Wings of Freedom. This game has many problems controller support among them (lol, it's a pc port that has no mouse support. Even if the controller works, the default setting has no left stick functionality and r and l trigger are used to look left and right). is it possible that the lack of exclusive mode could be the cause of this problem as well?

There are many forums with people struggling to get controllers working for this game and little success. I am unsure if exclusive mode will fix that issue as well but if anybody has some insight, that would be appreciated. I've got xinput+ and tried that. It recognizes the controller but the game still doesn't. I've got "controller (XBOX 360 for windows)" as my default. A common solution is to remove all other controllers. But I can't because my computer also recognizes my controller as "wireless controller". And if I remove that, my controller disconnects. I've removed keyboard/mouse/any other usb device, leaving just "wireless controller" and "xbox 360 controller for windows". Still don't work. But this is just a side problem for a game that supposedly isn't that good. I am more concerned with the macros. I only included this thinking that it may have the same root cause.

What is it exactly that exclusive mode does? What benefits does it offer over non-exclusive mode? And in the meantime, is there a way to get input mapper to stop trying to connect exclusively? I know there is a checkbox in the settings menu, but it does nothing. If "use exclusive mode" is unchecked when I try to connect the controller, it connects for 2 or 3 seconds then disconnects and I get a pop up saying it is running the exclusive tool and to reconnect the controller. Then the controller successfully connects but I get the exclusive mode error. If I try checking the "use exclusive mode" option I get the exact same behavior. I have tried restarting the computer after applying the new settings as well. I've also ran the program in all kinds of different compatibility settings, and as administrator, etc.

I really hope to get these issues resolved as I do like this program. It is also the only program that I was able to get to even recognize my controller. Neither DS4windows nor SCPtoolkit were able to recognize my controller. Also, I am using windows 10.0.16299 Build 16299. I am using a DS4 model CUH-ZCT2U. Another note, I recently installed this operating system on a freshly formatted drive. Probably around a month ago. I have ensured that no trace of steam was running. I even tried uninstalling it. I have never installed u-play, and I can't find any other programs that may be linked to controller support that could be interfering with this.

I also noticed that the Input Mapper 1.x has not update in almost two years. Is this project no longer being supported? Will we ever see 2.0 leave "ALPHA ALPHA SUPER EARLY PRACTICALLY BROKEN ALPHA"?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #2 by wirenut48
Check the pinned post for exclusive mode help. I hides the DS4 from the game so you only get inputs from the 360, as some games detect the inputs from both.
What macros are you trying to use in game? Does the keyboard work for these functions in game? If it doesn't, macros won't work either. You may not be able to communicate with windows using the controller while the game is running.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #3 by TonyMcD
I have read the pinned posts for exclusive mode. As I don't have a Sony wireless dongle, they were no help at all. I did try installing HIDguardian anyways, but I got the exact same behavior and exclusive mode still failed.

I stated in my posts that the macros I'm trying to use are volume up + down, the windows key (or ctr + esc since I can't get the windows key to work in a macro), and alt + tab and alt + shift + tab (and a separate macro to close the alt tab window and unpress alt shift and tab). These are just basic windows commands and have worked in every game I have ever played before. The keyboard works perfectly fine when inputting these commands.

Outside of games, the controller works fine for inputting these commands. But when I enter a game, or the on screen keyboard, the controller still works but the macros no longer work.

I've included a screenshot of the macro list to help clarify. And a note, I've tried all of them as scan codes (obviously except volume) and all of them not as scan codes but I don't get any different behavior. And the timers are all 0.3 seconds. I used to have the options button replaced with the PS button in all of the macros, but I can't find a way to disable holding the PS button to power off the controller. Does anybody know if this is possible, or is this something hard coded into the controller itself?
Attachments:

1 year 6 months ago #4 by wirenut48
It would easiest if you attach the .xml so I can edit it for you, there are to many things to cover.
1- the triggers are going to need some excludes to avoid double inputs if used in-game (single button inputs and macros). Most time's it's best to unbind the buttons your using and replace single mapped presses with macros plus excludes. Probably why they don't work in-game.
2- you want the macro to preform the same as if your using the keyboard. Presses followed by a 'wait for release' to hold the keys down, then releases to simulate letting go of the keys. Your first macro looks OK and is using scan code. You could seperate all keys to a press then release.
3- the win key does work if you manually edit it, # is 91.
4- you need to find out, if or what keys on the keyboard work in game for vol, then you can add them to media presets. Maybe the presets are using c and b, don't sound right.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #5 by wirenut48
Try this profile. You need to do a search on how to create shortcuts for volume control as there are none you can use full screen in-game. Then you use them in place or with the keyboard media key macros.

The way the excludes work is all conditions need to be met for macro to trigger. Green is pressed and Red is unpressed, there is a tutorial on this.

Attachments:

1 year 6 months ago #6 by wirenut48
As for exclusive mode, I find it hard to believe you you actually followed the steps. I clearly stated that it works with USB and BT. There is no reason it shouldn't work if you got the proper version installed properly.

1 year 6 months ago #7 by TonyMcD
Good news, I've got it working. I apologize as I did not read everything in the tutorial. I just skimmed it because it looked the same as other tutorials. It does indeed state that it works with BT. So I uninstalled HIDGuardian and Input Mapper just to be safe. I reinstalled, followed your guide and I now can connect in exclusive mode, yay!

As for the macros. I discovered that actually running the games as administrator was preventing the macros from working. Running them normally allowed the use of macros. And then I discovered that I wasn't running input mapper as administrator. So I restarted input mapper as admin and now the macros work in everything I've tried. Thanks for the help, I feel kind of stupid not running input mapper as admin.

I tried the profile you provided, and it is pretty similar to how I initially set it up. I don't really mind having the double inputs in game. The problem is with alt tab though. With that method, it will only move one program to the left or right, and it closes as soon as you release the bumper. The way I have set it up, the way I want it to work is if I hold options and press either bumper it opens alt tab window and moves one window left or right depending on the bumper. Then if I keep options pressed and hit another bumper it will move again. I then just press options + l & r bumper to close the menu. The only difference I would prefer is that it would close the menu when I release options. But I'm not sure how to set it up that way or if it is even possible.

How do you manually edit the macro to a specific key code? I can't find that option anywhere. Anyways, right now I'm using the same profile as in the pic. I changed everything to scan codes for good measure, and everything is working good. Also, do you know if there is a way to disable the power off function by holding the ps button? I would prefer to use that button to replace the options button in my macros, but if I hold it too long it turns the controller off.

1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #8 by wirenut48
Glad you got it sorted. I believe the PS shutdown is an internal function of the controller.
You right click on the profile and select edit to open in notepad, then you can manually edit it.

1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #9 by wirenut48
Now that I understand what your trying to do, give this one a try.
Option button works as the Alt key, while held down the bumpers will scroll left and right one window at a time. When you release the option(Alt) the window will close. Works exactly like a keyboard does.
You need to press the share button before the option to get the win key to work, it won't open with Alt pressed first.
If you didn't know, the volume speed can be controlled by the keyboard repeat rate. You can add a wait at the end of the macros to scroll one setting with each press.

Attachments: