$2.00
Number of donations
Highest donation
$500.00
Average donation
$20.61

Can't Uninstall InputMapper 1.6.10.19991

1 year 5 months ago #1 by Xebarsis
Windows 10. When I go to "add or remove programs," and try to uninstall InputMapper, I get the attached error message: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." The file path for the error is C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe.

If I go directly to the .exe file and try to change the permissions, I'm not able to because everything in system32 by default is read only. Doesn't even matter that I'm an administrator in this situation.

InputMapper recently has had issues trying to recognize more than 3 controllers, so I want to do a clean re-install to see if it clears it up. How do I uninstall InputMapper?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 5 months ago #2 by wirenut48
Do an install first to get the missing uninstall files. The above is just the system file that's throwing the error, it shouldn't be changed.

Make sure you also do a complete uninstall of HID Guardian too, this is more likely what your problem is. It could be hiding the controllers from IM if not installed properly. Follow the sticky thread on exclusive mode, and don't skip any steps.

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

1 year 5 months ago #3 by Xebarsis

I installed InputMapper to the same directory, and I still don't see an uninstall file. I tried to go to add or remove programs again, and got the same error message.
Attachments:

1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #4 by wirenut48
Don't know why you would need to uninstall anyway. Did you try installing the virtual bus driver from it's folder then reboot the PC to see if it works?

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

1 year 5 months ago #5 by Xebarsis
Sorry for the late reply. Uninstalling is just something I wanted to try to see if it corrected my issue.

I did what you said, and tried to install the virtual bus driver, restarted, and still InputMapper will not detect all my controllers at the same time.

On devices and printers, I noticed that it shows all four "Wireless Controllers," but it only shows three "Xbox 360 controller for Windows." That matches with the fact that InputMapper is only recognizing three controllers, and simulating them into Xbox 360 controllers.

All four of the "Wireless Controllers" have the HID-complaint game controller and USB Input Device enabled.

If I can get this issue with InputMapper only recognizing three controllers max at a time, I don't really care about uninstalling InputMapper so much.
Attachments:

1 year 5 months ago #6 by Xebarsis
I also forgot to mention that if I play a game that recognizes PS4 controllers, all four controllers work without InputMapper. So I know all four controllers are being recognized by my PC, and that all four do work. So this has to be a problem associated with InputMapper.

1 year 5 months ago #7 by wirenut48
I see the problem your facing but reinstalling is not going to help. Just thought that resolving your problem would be easier that figuring out why you can't uninstall. But not sure on this one, could be a bug or controller limitation with the way IM works (Physical DS4's counts as 1), just guessing. I would say submit a support ticket but from what I've seen is he is no longer supporting 1.6 as 1.7 should address all these issues.

1 year 5 months ago #8 by wirenut48
On the uninstall problem, my install directory looks the exact same as yours. So not sure why the uninstall feature doesn't work.

1 year 5 months ago #9 by Xebarsis
I'll try 1.7 since you say this issue is addressed. Since I can't uninstall 1.6, would installing 1.7 in a different directory be fine, or would that cause any issues since 1.6 is still on my computer?